30 inch monitor options for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IdaReggaeMon, Feb 4, 2012.

1. IdaReggaeMon macrumors newbie

I would like to find a good high-end monitor to pair with the latest Mac Mini Server, but unfortunately the only thing offered from Apple is a glossy screen display, which is a deal-killer for me.

Therefore I'm looking into the possibility of pairing the Mini server with a 30 inch monitor. I would like to be able to drive the monitor at its native 2560 X 1600 resolution, but the Mini will only do this through the Thunderbolt port.

These monitors typically have DisplayPort (not Mini DisplayPort) as well as Dual-link DVI inputs. I know there are various adapter options on the market, but I would be interested from hearing from other users who may have tried this or know something about it.

What adapter options are available? Which are preferable? What are the tradeoffs? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I thought that the Mac Mini TB port also would drive MDP signals. Is this not true?

/Jim

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

My mini drives an Apple 30" display via dual link DVI. (which is not glossy)

Perhaps you can get a refurbished 30" ACD?

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

In terms of display capabilities, MDP and Thunderbolt are the same.

OP i would avoid VGA, it looks like crap IMO

5. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

The Dell U3011 uses the same IPS panel as the Apple's displays but has a matte finish rather than glossy. It has a multitude of connection options.

6. briantology macrumors 6502

Dell also has a matte 27" high-res display. Same price as Apple's, though.

7. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

The 27" can be found much cheaper if you shop around.

8. IdaReggaeMon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. Let me refine the question a little: Given that the maximum resolution from the Mac Mini is through the Thunderbolt port, what are my options to convert Thunderbolt to DisplayPort or dual-link DVI so that I can drive a 30" monitor at its native resolution?

Thanks.

9. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

on ebay a seller is selling refurbed dell 3007fwp-hc for 799$ with a 30 day return policy .. i used to use the original 3007 for 5 years a long time ago and it was awesome .. considering buying two of these

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. IdaReggaeMon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was looking at the Dell U3011 for a current generation Mac Mini, but I'm not seeing where the Mini has a Mini DisplayPort, only Thunderbolt and HDMI. According to the specs here http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html, it looks like I would need to go from Thunderbolt --> Mini DisplayPort --> DisplayPort if I wanted to drive the monitor at 2560 x 1600. Is this correct or is there a simpler way?

12. willfurnell macrumors member

willfurnell

Thunderbolt is Mini Display Port! I currently use it with my 2011 iMac and a 20" Cinema Display.