30 instead of 29 in item directory

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrosive vinyl, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

i tried updating the new quicktime update and a new version of flip4mac... both using the pkg. It quit both installs saying that they could not be installed.
    I repaired the disk permissions and everything was fine. Next I tried verifying the disk and it came up with an error about an underlying task. In the actual verify part it said that there was an off directory item count, it should be 30 instead of 29 it says. I booted in safe mode, took a little to boot, then went in verified the disk, and still the same message. Disk repair comes out clean as a whistle, how you say. How can I fix up this little mess which came out of nowhere. Please don't say boot from disk, I think it got packed up and put in storage, wah wah

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you fixed it, if disk repair says the disk is fine now.

3. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

i still can't verify the disk. there is still a wrong # of things in item directory so I can't download and install anything

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, you have three viable options at this point:
    • Boot into Single User Mode and attempt to fix the disk again
    • Boot from your Mac OS install disc and attempt to fix the disk
    • If neither of those work, format the drive clean and reinstall Mac OS X (I hope you have a recent backup)

5. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I booted in single user mode and ran fsck -fy and the directory was modified. then I ran it again and it said checking catalog hierarchy and the same message was said, item count off (should be 30 instead of 29)

also I have a new safari 302 beta dmg in my disk repair which I can't get out... that could account for the extra thing which it is picking up... is there a way to get that out of there?

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, I think you need to wipe the hard drive and start again... you've suffered unrecoverable file system damage. :(

7. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

yeah... I was trying to find a quick and easy thing... didn't want to go trying to find my cd... i will wait until I have to download something important... everything else is working like it should

8. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well, it might be fixable without wiping the drive, but now with free tools. A program called Disk Warrior specializes in fixing this type of problem should be able to fix it.