$30 iPhone plan to include 200 texts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeshepard, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jeshepard macrumors member

I got an email back from an ATT rep saying that the $30 a month plan will include 200 texts just as the old plan.

Dear Mr. Shepard,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T to see if the sim card for
    your iPhone will work in a new 3G iPhone, to see if your old iPhone can
    be sold to an existing customer, and to see if the $30 a month unlimited
    plan includes 200 text messages. I am happy to help you with your
    inquiry.

When the new 3G iPhone is available, you will need to use the new sim
    card that comes with the phone. Your old sim card would no longer work
    and could not be used with another mobile number.

You will be able to sell your old iPhone to a current AT&T customer.

The $30.00 iPhone data plan will include 200 messages like the former
    iPhone plan.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to
    view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop
    for new product and service offerings. Thank you Mr. Shepard, for
    allowing the new AT&T to serve as your wireless company for the last few
    years. We will do our best to ensure that your wireless experience is a
    success.

Sincerely,

Amy Blakey
    AT&T
    Online Customer Care Professional

2. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I have a question, not meaning to take the sun from your thread. But I always heard, even from an ATT rep, that text messages to other ATT costumers don't cost / take away any of your text. My rep told me that if i text out side my network then it starts to take em away. It works like mobil to mobil?

3. jeshepard thread starter macrumors member

Like phone calls, any texts to other ATT customers are free (or unlimited). The only texts that cost (or take away from your included texts) are texts to other cell phone company customers.

This shouldn't change.

4. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

I'm seeing all of these posts from AT&T Customer Service and it seems they are answering all the questions but I'm wondering if they even know... Why has AT&T not put the new rates and plans up on their website for all to see? I have a feeling they have not made a decision on some of this stuff just yet and its all subject to change.

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

this is some goods news amongst all the iPhone bashing that been going on.
    hope the everyone else realizes this

6. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but AT&T no longer has a M2M text plan. If you signed up for one a while back when they were available then you probably still have it. All of the new plans, however do not offer unlimited m2m text.

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I am very pleased to her this! Wooohooo!

I advise you to definitely keep this meail though.....

8. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

I think it is good news because most of the people i do text already have ATT. The GF has it and that is majority of all my text messages, so this is great news this morning.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You have to pay an extra $5 a month for that privilege. So, $10 for 200 messages + unlimited in-messaging.

10. timimbo85 macrumors regular

timimbo85

Your right guys, it burst my bubble... it was a very Buzz Killington comment....(family guy). :(

But they do offer that instant message APP, so as long as you get your iPhone friends to sign up for it, your really don't need to worry about texting.
    There has to be ways around it, i know my non iphone friends use their AIM accounts on their phones.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I just checked AT&T's website and for the $39.99 voice plan it says you do get unlimited M2M so I think that is still available.

12. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

yes, for the VOICE... not for text.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

As I said, $5 extra.

14. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

The $5 extra for M2M TEXT no longer exists.

15. Xtgirl macrumors regular

It would be great if the AT+T rep is right, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she were incorrect....

When I text my husband who has AT+T(iPhone), it takes away from our text plans....am I missing something here?

16. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Let me clear this up for everyone....

"My friend" who works for AT&T says there is no such thing as unlimited M2M text. That is something they no longer offer. If you have a 200 message text plan each message that you send or receive from any carrier comes off of your 200.

Get it?

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wow, they did get rid of it. That's phenomenally stupid. It's half the reason I got AT&T. Glad it's still on my plan...I wonder if they'll grandfather it in if I upgrade to an iPhone.

18. number9 macrumors 6502

In the AT&T iPhone forums, a member posted this, showing a similar response to the thread starter here regarding the SMS. I had asked the same thing on Monday after the keynote in the AT&T chat, but the person said my guess is as good as theirs. So whether the reps saying it DOES include 200 SMS for sure are mistaken and going off of the old plans, or if there is new internal information available, I'm not sure.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=apple&thread.id=22979

EDIT: the rep here also says that the iPhone will be available online. If I remember correctly, in one of the longer iPhone 3G memos that AT&T released this week, it said that Direct Fulfillment (online orders) will be shipped directly to the customer's local AT&T store, where the can pick it up and activate it. I think that perhaps we will see pre-orders in two weeks or so, allowing people to do this and just go to the store on or around July 11 to get the iPhone and activate it, knowing that they won't have to worry about the store being sold out. Also the rep "confirms" that the voice plans start at $39.99.