30" Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tamvly, Apr 19, 2009.

1. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Just got a new octo 2.8 MacPro (wonderful machine for those consider old or new MacPro) and am looking to upgrade monitors - I currently have an old 23" ACD, but would like to move up to a 30" display.

I'll suspect that some photo work will be involved eventually, so I'd like to get a monitor with good color gamut. But mostly I use the machine for program development, some music recording and the typical productivity apps.

Any opinions on what I ought to be looking at: Dell, Eizo ... ?

2. bertybottom macrumors newbie

Ive got a 32" tv plugged into my mac mini via a dvi to hdmi cable.

It is a very crisp picture - and in my experience it was cheaper to buy a TV than get a monitor

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm using an Apple 30" (and a pair of 23"ers). It costs around the same as a Dell 30", and I far prefer the styling (and they're SWOP certified) and research indicated everybody is using the same panels anyway.

As for Eizo? Way expensive. My ACD cost £1039 including AppleCare, Eizo want around £3,500 for their 30". Sure, it'd be lovely, but costs double my actual machine.

The Apple will work fine for you, or a Dell if that floats your boat.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I would love to see a picture of your set up. :p please?

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Dell makes a great 30" and you can get a really good deal on one when they go on sale. Apple's 30" is pretty good but missing many of the ports and connections that dell provides.

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

how far do you have to sit from the screen if you use a tv for a monitor? i've been looking at the same setup too, but would imagine the resolution wouldn't be as good as if I used a real computer monitor.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

It isn't. TVs are currently topping out at 1080p (ie: 1920x1080) resolution, and that's usually only found on 37" screens.

To compare, Apple's 30" has a resolution of 2560x1600. TVs don't make great monitors really (fine for games and DVDs but not great for computing tasks).