~30% more disk space with Maverick?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Andeavor, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I just upgraded and noticed my disk usage went from 90% down to 60%. Either 10.9 has slimmed down considerably or it deleted a truck load of files. However, all my junk is still there, as far as I can tell.

2. tyche macrumors 6502

3. twylie macrumors newbie

I went from 30GB free to over 100GB free on my MBA (256GB).

Everything still there from what I can tell. Interested to know what happened.

4. ozp macrumors newbie

15GB free before, 48GB free after installation for me

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I gained 15gb back. My only complaint is how much space ML sucked up!

6. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I gained approximately 13GB. Seems like some leftover caches and swap files were removed during installation. Very happy with Mavericks so far. Everything just seems so smooth and thought out.

7. DowdyFick macrumors regular

Same here. Most of the swap files were removed, that where I gained most of my space.

8. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I don't know what happened - I picked up like 20GB.

9. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

RAPTORSKI

Seems I have gained about 15 GB of space also.

Now if only Apple removed some more of the left overs such as DVD Player app and Dashboard we'd be good to go. :D Not bad though.

10. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Parasprite

Probably partially related to new RAM compression. If the space gained resemble the amount of RAM you have this might be the case.

The reduction might also be related to the sleepimage file which is a hidden file that is usually the same size as the amount of RAM you have. If they compress it or only save what is necessary that would easily "save" 14 GB on my system (mine is 2GB on Mavericks with 16GB RAM, I don't know what it was in Mountain Lion).

Or just some code cleaning in the OS, but 15+ GB gained is a bit high to be explained by just that. Wiping various caches/page files/etc. List goes on...

Just curious, how much RAM does everyone have?

11. tyche macrumors 6502

I have 16GB of memory and pretty sure I didn't gain more than 7gb. But I keep a pretty clean system.

12. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

Unbelievable. I got almost 90gb back!!!! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

One thing for sure, Apple is doing things right with this. On Windows machines, every new OS gets bigger and bigger.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I gained 35 - 40 GB. Don't know how that happened, but I will gladly accept more space.

14. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Get DaisyDisk or Spacie and know what occupies your disk space. Invaluable.

15. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Interestingly enough, the sleepimage file in my system (16GB physical RAM) went from 16GB in ML to 8GB in Mvks. Sleep times should improve as a result and considering I plan to upgrade to an SSD in the near future, the less space sleepimage takes on my system, the better.

16. Andeavor thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think of caches and swap files. Looks like the file sizes are different to everyone.

I have 4GB RAM, not much but I usually get about 3GB of space back after every reboot, thought that was due to the temp files from the browsers and minor programs.

17. yliu macrumors regular

18. tyche macrumors 6502

A day later and some software updates (iMovie, iPhoto, etc) and I've put back on 4gb. Still less than originally.

19. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

I gained about 3-4 GB. Pleased with that, considering I installed an SDD as my boot & applications drive that's half the storage of the original 500 GB drive (now in the optical slot).

20. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Prior to Mav the sleepimage file would be the same size as system RAM. Now it seems to only be as big as the amount of RAM actually in use?

21. Love4ndpeace macrumors newbie

well not sure if its only me, but apparently I have to re-download every single spotify songs that prior to update was still available offline in my macbook pro.

22. keson macrumors newbie

I just installed Maverick and gained from 18 to 38 GB = 20 GB of disk space.
    First I was shocked, WHAT the hell was deleted, but I can't find basically nothing missing, so my conclusion is that it is simply the new OS which saved the disk space. Happy to be Mac OS X user, all windows users face the opposite I guess :):):)

P.S: I have 4 GB of RAM on Air.

23. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Possibly removed some cached files. What is different is Apple are using disc compression a lot more in Mavericks than they did in ML. This can make Applications and other binaries on average 60% smaller, they also use it more for OS files in Mavericks.

24. jfd134 macrumors newbie

inspired by this thread, I just upgraded from Lion to Mavericks. However, I lost about 8 Gb of disk space. I had already optimized (extra language packs deleted, etc).

Did your space savings came immediately after installation or after some days? I closed the 'optimizing your Mac' notice and processor use is down, but I don't know if it is done.

I have a MBA, 4Gb ram, (mid-2011 I think).