30 pin Adapter and the Ottebox Defender?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by samsonib6, Oct 12, 2012.

1. samsonib6 macrumors newbie

Has anyone with an IPhone 5 and an Otterbox Defender case tried the 30 Pin adapter? Have one on order but wondering if it fits with the case on?

2. Bbafett macrumors regular

I don't have the defender anymore but from what I have read there will be extremely few cases that the adapter will work for on the regular adapater. You will most likely have to get the cable adapter if you have a case on the phone. The cordless one sits flush on the phone so anything that isn't part of the phone will be in the way of it making a solid connection.

3. boatrightsj macrumors newbie

30 pin Adapter and the Otterbox Defender

I have the Otterbox Defender for iPhone 5, and received the lightning to 30 pin Adepter, and it DOES fit with the case on. I charged my iPhone 5, and also performed a hard backup in iTunes - everything work perfectly.

4. Bbafett macrumors regular

I find this hard to believe unless you are talking about the 0.2m cable adapter. The defender adds too much that wouldn't allow the connection to completely get connected.

5. KCWolfPck macrumors regular

Have you looked at the port covering of the Defender? Based on the photos on Otterbox's website, it looks feasible. Once you fold back the port covering, it appears that there is a wide slot opening that looks like it could accommodate the width of the adapter. I haven't tried it yet personally, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

[​IMG]

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This.

The .2m adapter (the $39 one) will be the one most people will want if they're using cases that cover the bottom of the phone. My two were delivered today and work perfectly.

7. Paulsan, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

Paulsan macrumors member

I have a Defender and just got the adapter. It DOES NOT FIT. There is no way that I can see to get the two to work together without modification. If I'm missing something here I am willing to be enlightened.

I AM WRONG. IT DOES FIT! It takes a little effort but once you line it up properly it does fit.

8. merc070809 macrumors newbie

I have a Defender and just got the adapter. It DOES NOT FIT. There is no way that I c

yes it does fit, you must have the wrong phone or wrong case buddy because it def fits! and it fits fine! SO YEAH BAHA

9. Paulsan macrumors member

Yes it does fit. I was wrong. Sorry.

10. Gary1953 macrumors newbie

I have an Otterbox Defender also, and I just received my 30 pin adapter. Opening the wide cover on the bottom of the phone allows plenty of room for the adapter and it works perfectly, much to my relief!

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

12. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Sweet, now I just need to work something out for a support, most likely, for my speaker bar :)

13. CGC3 macrumors newbie

I Made the $29 Adapter Work

I wasn't aware of the $39 2mm adapter. I received the normal $29 adapter and experienced this problem. The opening on the Otterbox defender case is too narrow to put the Lightning adapter in. (It's a few millimeters too close on the top and bottom. I found a solution to this problem, but it's not very elegant...take your iPhone out of the Otterbox case and use a drill with a 1/4" drill bit to mill out the size of the opening in the Otterbox case on both sides of where the Lightning adapter connects. That works fine, but it's obviously not a very elegant solution.

I have reported this problem to Otterbox and I hope that they come up with a permanent fix...it is only a matter of adjusting the size of the opening slightly on the top and bottom near the Lightning Adapter.