Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Hey all,
Looking for some feedback on a 30 pin extension cable like the one pictured below:

$(KGrHqV,!iEE1KWBWJvdBNZZrtVCLw~~_12.JPG

I've got a Pioneer headunit in the car which uses a special cable (see below) with a 30pin on one side and a special connector on the other and it's about a foot or so too short. Due to the special connector, I can't just add a simple usb extension cable.

$(KGrHqEOKn!E1H6w(QmtBNfscuPHfw~~_12.JPG

If any of you out there own the extension cable, I would like to verify that it does transfer video/music AND charges your device at the same time.

Thanks!!!

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I don't own the extension pictured, but what worries you about it? Why wouldn't it do all you ask? It's simply an extension, one-to-one pin connections, making your current reach a couple of feet longer.

I guess the only worry would be if it were SO long that there would be some signal loss, but that probably wouldn't occur until we were talking 10s of feet.

bkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
I don't own the extension pictured, but what worries you about it? Why wouldn't it do all you ask? It's simply an extension, one-to-one pin connections, making your current reach a couple of feet longer.

I guess the only worry would be if it were SO long that there would be some signal loss, but that probably wouldn't occur until we were talking 10s of feet.

I ask because there were compatibility issues with non-Apple branded cables being able to transmit video and charge at the same time which forced consumers to purchase only Apple component and composite cables. This was especially so in the mobile entertainment segment. On the wife's Avic-D3 I had purchased a few non-Apple cables and found out the hardway that they were incompatible which really sucked when trying to appease the kids on a 900 mile roadtrip.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Fair enough, but what was the brand that gave you the problem...and what is the brand you are showing us in the picture? It could pass for an Apple cable, and if it is, why would you think it would give you problems like you had from a previous after-market cable?

Who manufactures this extension cable? With this info, I'm sure that some MacRumors members could help you with experience with said cable.

...or since you said "like the cable pictured", are you just worrying that no extensions will work.

(I'm sorry if I am asking a lot of questions, but you were very vague in asking essentially "will a 30-pin extension like the one in the picture work?" I gave you an equally vague answer I suppose, but without more detial I don't think anyone else could do better. )

bkw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Good point.

The picture above is not an Apple cable - Does Apple even make 30pin to 30pin extensions? If they do, I'll head over to the Apple store right now!

trozau

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Appleland, USA
Kewl! I got one of those cheapos from eBay and after trying it after it came in I just decided to junk it. I will order this cablejive and try it. Thanks. :)

Update: Got the cablejive dock extender and IT DOES NOT WORK. Contacted customer service right away and NO response what so ever. THIS CABLEJIVE DOCK EXTENDER PRODUCT IS NOT RECOMMENDED! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
My wife just got her cablejive dockStubz extender in the mail today. She bought it for her Sony alarm clock with iphone dock... because her iPhone couldn't dock correctly with an otterbox case. It works great. Her iPhone is functional with alarm clock features, and it charges her iPhone like it should. I'm glad I seen this thread.:)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
plenty of reasonable priced unit on ebay just look at the seller reviews and you can see if anybody had problems with them. I bought one for a few bucks from there works perfect. forget the seller.

JessicaR

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
My wife just got her cablejive dockStubz extender in the mail today. She bought it for her Sony alarm clock with iphone dock... because her iPhone couldn't dock correctly with an otterbox case. It works great. Her iPhone is functional with alarm clock features, and it charges her iPhone like it should. I'm glad I seen this thread.:)

So it worked for you? Does that mean we have it worked for 1 person and it didnt work for another person?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
So it worked for you? Does that mean we have it worked for 1 person and it didnt work for another person?

It worked on the Sony Alarm clock I bought for my wife. She was able use the controls on the alarm clock to play her music, and it seems to be charging her iPhone. Not sure why it didn't work for others, but it could be the brand or the alarm clock we are using the 30 PIN extender on (e.g. Sony vs iHome).

Before I bought it online, I searched for reviews on cablejive dockStubz and Sony alarm clock. When I read a review that it worked a Sony Alarm clock, then I purchased it. This is the cablejive dockStubz extender we bought.

docStubz1.jpg
docStubz2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.