30-pin or lightning for one hand use

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by potatis, May 10, 2016.

1. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

Which would be most suitable for a person that can only use one hand to plug/unplug the cable, a 30-pin or lightning connector, for use with an ipod touch or a heavier ipad 1 respectively?

2. theluggage macrumors 68030

Third option: get a dock with a built-in connector so that the connector is firmly held in place while you plug the device into it - rather than having to stop the device skating around while you try to push the connector in (even the iPad isn't heavy enough to prevent that).

I just tried with one hand behind my back and unplugging a lightning connector from an iPad is no problem, but to push it in you need to brace the top of the iPad against a strategically-placed object without it pushing the power button. I'm sure a dock would help.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The lightning connector is easier to orient. The 30 pin is easier to plug and unplug. I just tried both.

Given that only archaic devices use the 30 pin connector. Their really isn't a choice. Both are quite doable with one hand. I don't have much practice and could easily use either connector one handed. With an iPhone 5s and 3gs. I doubt someone who goes through life one handed would have much trouble with either connector.