iPhone XS 30 pin to Lightning adapter that supports charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eddjedi, May 20, 2019.

1. eddjedi macrumors 6502

I thought this would be an easy problem to solve, but after half an hour of Googling I'm still none the wiser.

I have just bought a new (used) car which has an ipod interface. It is the older 30 pin type. I have asked the car manufacturer if they offer a lightning cable, they do not. I bought an official 30 pin to lightning adapter from Apple, and although I can now listen to music through my iPhone XS, it will not charge.

After some research it seems it is possible to buy adapters that provide power without sound, or sound without power, but not both! Is there really no way to connect a modern lightning iPhone to a 30 pin cable and get BOTH power and sound? Any help appreciated.

2. chrfr macrumors 604

The Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter should charge- it does charge my iPhone 8 and a variety of other devices. You may have an out of date firmware version or the XS may just be incompatible with your car's radio.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

My Apple 30 pion to lightning adapter charges my iPhone XS fine while playing music through older 30 pin connections.
    My Apple 30 pin to lightning adapter charges my iPhone XS fine while playing music through older 30 pin connections.

4. eddjedi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. My old iPod Classic (80GB) plays music and charges fine using the same cable so I don't think the cable or interface is faulty.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

It may then be that your car isn't compatible with the XS. Do you have a different iPhone available which you could use to test?