Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OmegaRace

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Caladan
Hello,

With my MBP 2010 15", 30 seconds after sound ends while using my headphones (either of two pairs), I hear a pop or snap in the headphones. This happens after playing Youtube, or after using mplayer in Terminal. I haven't used iTunes extensively so I can't say whether it happens with that app.

This does not happen under Windows 7 at all, which I have installed in my Boot Camp partition.

I did a little google searching and it seems people say this occurs because the OS turns off the sound card to save power, but does so in a very ungraceful way. Another person reported that they had no problem under Windows XP but did see this problem on multiple Mac laptops.

One person back in 2008 said they found a utility that tricks the OS into thinking that the sound card is always playing audio, so the power-off and therefore pop or snap sound no longer occur, but that utility seems to be a PPC-only binary & anyway I hate running unofficial utilities.

Does anybody here know if there is another way to fix this problem?

I suppose I could write a Bash script that plays an all-zeroes wave file every 25 seconds, but that would be a kludge.

Thanks.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,

With my MBP 2010 15", 30 seconds after sound ends while using my headphones (either of two pairs), I hear a pop or snap in the headphones. This happens after playing Youtube, or after using mplayer in Terminal. I haven't used iTunes extensively so I can't say whether it happens with that app.

This does not happen under Windows 7 at all, which I have installed in my Boot Camp partition.

I did a little google searching and it seems people say this occurs because the OS turns off the sound card to save power, but does so in a very ungraceful way. Another person reported that they had no problem under Windows XP but did see this problem on multiple Mac laptops.

One person back in 2008 said they found a utility that tricks the OS into thinking that the sound card is always playing audio, so the power-off and therefore pop or snap sound no longer occur, but that utility seems to be a PPC-only binary & anyway I hate running unofficial utilities.

I suppose I could write a Bash script that plays an all-zeroes wave file every 25 seconds, but that would be a kludge.

Thanks.

have u tried different headphoens to see the samething happens?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I did a little google searching and it seems people say this occurs because the OS turns off the sound card to save power, but does so in a very ungraceful way.
As far as I understand it, that's correct. The same thing happens on the iDevices.

that utility seems to be a PPC-only binary & anyway I hate running unofficial utilities.

You say that you don't like unofficial utilities but then talk about writing a script?

Anyway, there isn't an official solution.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
Hello,

Thanks.

This seems to happen when I use low impedance headphones. I've noticed it doesn't happen when I put an in line adapter that came with them for volume control and add impedance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.