30 times harder than plastic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashrakay, Jul 6, 2010.

1. ashrakay macrumors newbie

I'm a new iPhone user, but I use only Mac products. That being said, I'm not a fanboy. I'm just a designer and photographer that requires this kind of equipment for my work.

I waited 3 generations for Apple to work out its bugs and when I saw the iPhone 4, I knew it was time to buy.

Everyone has been talking about the antennae. It's pretty much been talked to death, so yeah, I have that same issue and I use a rubber bumper.

But, am I the only one that really confused about the strength of the glass? Apple writes, "Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic..."

Okay, but I've never had any plastic item, no matter how fragile shatter when dropped. Is this not a blatant marketing deception? Can anyone tell me if they've ever dropped a plastic anything and it shattered? (permitting it had not been exposed to extremely low temperatures.

Is anyone, i.e., Consumer Reports, NYT, etc., going to call Apple out on this?

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Now that you have, there's no need to :)

All the iPhones have had nice hard tough glass in them. To me the durability of the glass is all about scratch resistance, not drop survivability. My Blackberry 8700 was the best phone I ever had (up till then). But once I was done with it the screen was a disaster. On the other hand I could fling that sucker across the room and know it would be fine afterwards.

My 3G had a virtually crystal clear screen 2 years after I got my grubby hands on it. And I never fling my phones around anymore. :D

3. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

In terms of scratch-resistancy and bendability, the iPhone 4's is really that strong and stiff. Try carving something in the back of the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS with a key, then try the back of the iPhone 4.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Stiffer and Harder means easier to shatter. Think about it.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

So, you didn't get an iPhone 3GS. The fu****g oleophobic coating scratches pretty easily. I've been very careful with my iPhone 3GS and I didn't know how many hairline scratches there were in the coating until I looked at it under very bright lights. They don't even show up in the sunlight (or regular lighting). I don't think Apple has improved the coating on the iPhone 4, but it isn't that bad, it just ruins the iPhone's practically impossible-to-scratch screen characteristic. The glass still won't scratch, but the coating will most likely show scratches in particular lighting.

6. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

No problem. If you are the kind of person who drops stuff all the time, the iPhone (at least a naked iPhone) probably isn't for you.

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Nope, but my wife did. And she has been hell on it. Drops it all the damn time. Once in the toilet. Separate story. It's true: the screen isn't immaculate, but given what it's been through I'm a happy camper.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Original iPhone and iPhone 3Gs work great for me.

iPhone 4 is another story in the mobile connectivity department. Just got it replaced. Will see what happens with this one.
    However, iPhone 4's WiFi is much better. GPS is much faster. And various other things are improved.

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Oh, woops. Thought we were talking about something else.

*walks out*

10. speed12 macrumors regular

This.

I think there is a lot of confusion over what strength, stiffness and hardness actually represent as the words are often bandied about to mean the same thing.

In simple terms:

Stiffness - resistance to bending
    Strength - resistance to deformation (by extension)
    Hardness - resistance to scratching
    Toughness - resistance to cracking

The glass on iPhone 4 is both very hard and very stiff, but as stated, this unfortunately means that it is also brittle and so if dropped or hit with sufficient force will crack slightly more easily than a less stiff, softer material.

This doesn't mean it's bad in the slightest as, to be fair, it was never designed to be dropped. It was designed however to be scratch resistant and give a stiff chasiss (as much about giving a feeling of quality as it is about structural rigidity). In this case, the material selection is an excellent one.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Would you rather have scratch-free screen full of smudges or cleaner, far less smudgy screen with hairline scratches that don't even show up in sunlight or regular light?

The oleophobic coating is one of the best improvements of 3GS over the 3G and original iPhone IMO.

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I think it may shatter easier due to the density of the glass.

I don't exactly remember where I read it but this guy was saying that he used to work at this watch factory and they started using (what he thinks may be) the same type of glass Apple is using. He said because it was so dense, the glass often shattered. It passed all tests, but when the dense glass hit another dense material like, glass, it would chip.

13. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you're the kind of person who drops stuff all the time, you probably should not be purchasing items that you will carry around with you that are expensive. Exactly the reason why I don't buy expensive sunglasses anymore, I misplace them too often.

14. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

My 2G iPhone, which I have been brutally abusing since September 2007 has only ONE scratch on its front glass. That phone has dropped from various heights on concrete, marble, wooden flooring, everywhere ... the back has also survived pretty well.

Now, if this glass was good enough, why did Apple use this new glass on the iPhone 4? What was the point?

15. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

You can bend it with machines without cracking it, which has a lot of use in a phone.

16. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but when its actually installed in a phone ... in what scenario could I possible bend it like they show in their promotional video?

Humans are trained to be impressed by what they see ... so sure, the resilience of that glass is excellent ... but again, in a functional phone ... that resilience is useless.

This is marketing is accurate ... but invariably misleading

17. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I was being sarcastic by saying that it has "a lot of use in phones."

18. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Oh, hehe ... so we're on the same page then. Apple needs to learn that although it has a cult-like following ... it CAN'T get away with such misdemeanors.

19. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Honestly I think the biggest cause of the glass chipping problem comes from the design; not the materials.

On the 3GS- the edge of the glass is protected by the chrome bezel which the iP4 doesn't have.

It's also likely that Apple knows this because they released bumpers to protect the fragile edges.

20. strausd macrumors 68030

I've heard a few people have found it not as durable as 3G S or 3G. Someone at the store near me got their brand new one, walked one step out, dropped it and it shattered. 3 foot drop shouldn't make that happen...

21. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Agreed, Apple is pure evil. Steve Jobs did this because Giz leaked the phone and wanted us to suffer.

22. ashrakay thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed

Absolutely. That's all I'm saying. They could have said 30x more scratch resistant. They chose the word hard.

Someone said, "If you're the kind of person who drops stuff all the time, you probably should not be purchasing items that you will carry around with you that are expensive. " which is true of course, but what if you're the kind of person that only drops something once... and it's your iphone. :)

Really great reading these replies. Thanks to all.

23. ashrakay thread starter macrumors newbie

Ps

I'm going to go try to bend my iPhone now like they did in that commercial.

24. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Post a video.

25. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Go do that in an Apple store ;)