30" vs. 24" Apple Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by technomac, Nov 29, 2009.

1. technomac macrumors newbie

Hi all! I've been following MacRumors for nearly 4 years, but have never posted.

First of all, sorry if this question has been posted in a previous thread, but after searching for nearly 20 minutes I decided I should just ask.

I'm getting a new 27" iMac, and I would like duel screens. My question is should I get the newer 24" LED Cinema Display, or the older 30" Cinema Display. I'm looking for a lot of screen real estate, but I want it to also be ascetically pleasing. Most importantly, I want to know which one would be better. Would the 30" be just as sharp as the 27" iMac? If the screens were too different I feel I might be easily distracted by the difference, especially when utilizing both screens.

I'm hoping that I could get some assistance in deciding this matter, and that individuals could shed some light on this matter to help me decide.

Thanks in advance!

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Buy another brand. I know the shiny Apple logo is nice, but it hardly justifies their being obviously overpriced. A few other OEMs even use the same panels, so there is no difference in quality.

3. technomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to sound snobby or anything, but the price doesn't really matter much to me. I'm just wondering which one is better out of the two. I know there are other brands out there, but I've had rather pleasant experiences with apple reps when something has gone wrong. I know part of it is brand loyalty, but the other part is knowing that if something goes wrong with it what my customer service experience would probably be like, based on past experiences. I would rather pay extra now, rather than pay the price for it later.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If it were me, I would spring for the 30" ACD because of the sheer resolution/size. It all depends on what it will be used for, and if your comp has the right ports (I'm assuming you have a mini displayport capable computer, in which case you will also have to buy the $100 MDP to Dual-link DVI adapter)

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

30" ACD is nice, but a 24" LED ACD will go better with your 27" iMac (they share a lot of the same visual characteristics). Plus, like the previous poster pointed out, you won't have to deal with the flaky video adapter since the 24" ACD has uses mDP.

6. bmastudent macrumors member

Are there any specific brands that match the display characteristics of the cinema display? Any that match it aesthetically?

7. VoR macrumors 6502a

My experience with apple support has been poor, while the turnaround and service from dell has been good.
    One forces you to drive too and from a retail store twice with a pretty large gap in between, while the other has a new unit at the door the next day under standard (and three times as long...) warranty.
    I'm in the UK.

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

I would go with the 24" Apple Cinema Display. 1st because I love LEDs. I don't like Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lamp. That's old school. CCFL needs warm up time and also does not provide as much color as the LED Cinema Display. The LEDs also have longer lifespan.

2nd thing is mentioned. I want to avoid another adapter swinging around my work space (MDP Dual Link DVI). It costs a lot too for an adapter.

9. technomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'll got the 24".

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

As always, everything with Apple is just speculation....One of my predictions, this happened the day the 27 iMac came out, is for Apple to release a 27" standalone LED display.

I think one of the main reasons that Apple produced the 24 LED was to go side by side with the 24" iMac. I know they market it as being an expansion for your MBP, I just don't think it was coincidence that the 24" iMac and 24" LED both have the same resolution of 1920x1200 and both have LED (heh, not even sure if the 24" iMac was LED...)

I'd say get the 24" now, and then maybe in a few months, maybe more, if and when there is one, sell it get the 27" LED....that would be righteous....

11. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Like who?

More than an Apple log of course, for a MacBook Pro you get connectors and you get Apple quality and support. You can get a refurb for $599.00 from Apple. I would like more connectors though thats for sure.

12. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I would expect a 27" standalone but only when the shortage of 27" iMacs ends which could be awhile.

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Thats a new one.

Apple will give you a new one in any store no matter where you bought it or handle through the phone and send you a new one.