$300 Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Aug 24, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hey guys i'm looking to buy an apple laptop just for surfing the web and checking email. what kind should i buy?i already have an iMac for more serious tasks so power isn't really a big issue on the portable. i have about $300 to spend. it also needs to have built in wi-fi. where can i buy one?

2. Expired macrumors newbie

Checking eBay, you could probably get an iBook G3 for around $300, but it's going to be a lot slower than you're used to. If I were you I would save up a little more and get a used MacBook or at least a G4 system.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

an iPhone :) -- Does all that you are asking for

4. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

but with an iphone you also get a $120+ a month bill. i searched on ebay and i saw a couple of g4's but i don't know if they are good or legit.

5. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Then get an iPod touch!
    But wait a few weeks so you can get the new one.

EDIT:
    Just realized you had one.
    My apologies.

6. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

i don't really like to surf the web on the touch or iphone because after a while it gets annoying and makes my eyes hurt so that's why i need a laptop.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Go ahead and get an iBook on eBay, with the usual cautions about making sure it works (battery, wifi) with a positive feedback vendor.
    I just gave my G3 with Airport to my niece for school, and it was slower, but worthy and handy.

8. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I would suggest nothing less than a G4.

I know people on these forums love their G3's but I think the G3 would be to slow for his needs.

Yes I know the G3 can surf the net just fine, but as soon as you start opening up a few tabs and windows, the machine bogs up like hell.

And you might say "Oh well Add som'more ram!" but the OP kinda seems like the type who just wants a no fuss laptop he can just surf on right away.

Not to mention the plague of problems the G3 iBooks had with their graphics cards...

Also most of the iBook G4's came with airport cards (I believe from 2nd rev) so this would probably be the best deal for him.

So go get an iBook G4 :)

You will be very happy!

9. econoline06 macrumors 6502

econoline06

Yes he will be happy except for the painfully slow aspect of any computer that is not a high end G5.....

10. pscoble macrumors 6502

Meh my old G4 was reasonably fast. Fast enough for web surfing thats for sure. Plus if you can get one for $300. (which even at this point in time is doubt full but I haven't checked in a while) As long as you know what your getting into I would say it will be quite fine.

11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

My old iBook G4 1.33Ghz is struggling a bit under the web. I'm thinking I should have never put leopard on there...

It isn't that old a machine so I'm a bit disappointed by its performance degredation. When I got my first mac (a clamshell 366mhz g3) it lasted me as my primary computer for 5 years! The iBook lasted me just over a year before I moved up to a MacBook.

Mum has it now and it works for "the web" and email but it could be a lot faster. Really, I should open her up, max to 1.5GB and replace the HD with a faster drive. Who can be bothered though with machines quite cheap nowadays...

My suggestion would be to get an iBook, but keep it on Tiger. Use a lighter browser than safari or firefox and you should be more than fine.

12. Terrador macrumors regular

The iBook is good, but the 12" PowerBook isn't beyond that price range in SOME cases.

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

No the iPhone cost about $2,600 when you include the monthly payments. The $199 price is just the down payment.

I think the iPod Touch is what you want.

14. barijazz macrumors 6502

15. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

The iBook G3 is perfectly suited to do that and if you're careful in your purchase (assuming you are going to use eBay) the chance is you'll have a bit of money to spare for useful extras.