$300 difference between yesterday's MBP and today's...help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Phrasikleia, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

What was the low-end MBP yesterday is selling today at the edu discount price of $1499. The newly announced low-end MBP is $300 more: $1799.

What do I get for the extra $300?

• New multitouch trackpad
    • Penryn, but *less* L2 cache (3MB vs 4MB)...so not really any faster?
    • Larger hard drive (80GB more)
    • More VRAM (256MB vs 128MB)
    • A slightly revised keyboard that has new multimedia shortcuts

Is that worth a $300 premium? What do you folks think?

2. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Where on the website can you get the $1499 price?

3. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I went into my campus computer store and picked up a flyer: "Old specs! While supplies last!" The prices are:

• For the 2.2 GHz of yesterday: $1499
    • For the 2.4 GHz of yesterday: $1699
    • For the 17" of yesterday: $2399

So a $300 drop from what they cost yesterday.

4. aditghai macrumors regular

aditghai

Crap. I bought a refurbished one for $1449. :(

Anyways, I heard Mac Refurbs are as good as new. So, Ill keep my order instead of cancelling em

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'd get the older model. I dont like the F-keys layout and the lack of remote is sad. Not much performance gain anyway to justify the 300$ and HDs are cheap now so you can get a large new one, using the old as external.

6. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, and void my warranty in the process of installing it. I replaced the drive in my six-year-old PB G4 667, but I had nothing to lose at that point. It was major surgery, and my understanding is that the new design is no easier.

7. pbollin macrumors newbie

Old Macbook Pro 2.2ghz

I just ordered one on Amazon for $1,550 after rebate. They also had a good deal on the Black Macbook for $1,210 (which would have been about $80 more than the refurb Black Macbook at Apple) I seriously considered the Black Macbook, but all of the extras of the Pro lured me in. I almost ordered the refurb Pro from Apple, but considering that Amazon has the $150 rebate and does not charge tax, I got the new one for only $50 more than the refurb. I think it is quite the deal. I had originally planned to get the middle of the line Macbook for $1,200 ($1,275 after tax) but I am glad I got the Pro, even if it doesn't have the upgrade from today. From what I can tell, I wouldn't use the multitouch or the extra power anyway. I agree with Phrasikleia, the new model is not worth the $300.

8. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

same boat! but i went with the refurb and end up wit h#1555 including tax and the $18 2-3 days shipping.. hoping for something extra with my refurb like a 4G RAM.. hey... wishful thinking!

9. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Bought the new one.

I just went ahead and paid the extra $300. I've been telling myself all along that I want the maximum in forward compatibility, so I'm going to trust those who say that Penryn will vastly outperform Merom once graphics apps incorporate the SSE4 instruction set.

Also, I'm certain that Multitouch will be the new wave of input technology and will become a hardware dividing line (i.e. laptops that don't have it will seem really outdated). I think some kind of external Multitouch device (mouse or keyboard) will come along for the machines that are lacking the technology, but it will still be one of those defining/dating features for laptops.

And I won't mind having the other extras (more VRAM, hard disk space, etc).

So Apple got my extra $300.

10. dibara2003 macrumors 6502