3000 songs LOST when syncing to PC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Theoffice, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Theoffice, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

Theoffice macrumors newbie

My husband synched his ipod to his PC and lost 3000 songs, none of which were illegally downloaded. They were copied from CD's which he purchased.
    Appears they are in a file called MPeg 4 Audio file which cannot be accessed on his PC.
    Could anyone help with retrieving this music please? None of the songs purchased from itunes were deleted! Thanks :confused:

After methodically checking and trying allsorts there is a way of retrieving the music albeit painfully slow.
    Access MPEG4 click on each title and send it to iTunes. If anyone knows of a faster way, please let me know. Thanks.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Was this the same PC he normally syncs to?

If they're no longer appearing on the iPod then they aren't there. Surely he has the files on his computer which can just be synced back?

3. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes same PC. No the files on not on his computer in itunes. Appears they are in a MP4 file which cannot be accessed.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Then the files on the iPod should only have been deleted if they were deleted from iTunes after the last time the iPod was synced with iTunes.

MP4 is only usually used for video and audio in the same file (e.g. a movie, tv show), do you mean M4P? You said they're not on the computer, so how do you know what the file format is?

In any case, the files on the iPod are gone and can't be recovered. His music should be on the computer and in his iTunes library because the whole point of syncing is to keep the iPod up to date with the iTunes library. I don't understand how this didn't happen sooner, unless he was using the manually manage music option. He'll have to re-rip his CDs and keep the files in iTunes.

5. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Just spoken with him. Could be M4P - he saw list of all his missing songs.
    Apologies for giving wrong file name. :)

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

no worries, just wanted to clarify. Where did he see the list? Is her sure that the music isn't in his My Music > iTunes folder?

7. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll get hime to have a look. In the meantime thank you very much for your help. We are both pretty dumb when it comes to this sort of thing!

8. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

He has checked My Music - iTunes. Folder now does not exist (it did before).
    All he has is 'Purchased'.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

So somehow his entire music folder got deleted, which meant that iTunes couldn't find his songs on the computer and wiped them from the iPod too.

All he can do is re-rip his CDs :( I'd highly suggest that when he's rebuilt his library, he backs it up to an external hard drive and updates the backup as he adds new CDs.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I think I know what happened. The iTunes Library might have been moved (or deleted by accident) and a new empty Library created and when it synced it provided provided that confusing Erase your iPod feature to use with a new Library. Windows has a backup feature but a lot of people don't use it.

I knew someone that stored their iTunes Library on their iPod as a hard drive and sync to the same iPod. I don't think they understood that the library could be on their PC.

11. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a general Search on his PC, typed in one of the names of missing songs, which actually came up with others by the same singer in MPEG4 Audio FILE.
    So they are all there it appears, just a case of getting them back.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I suggest your husband look into a backup solution for his PC.

13. Theoffice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. :)

----------

I will tell him! Thanks.

----------

To add, he still has all the music he purchased from iTunes, only the CD stuff went! :confused:

14. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Clarification: Nero encodes AAC files as .mp4