300MB alias file??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DoFoT9, Nov 10, 2008.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hey everyone,

i have an alias to my hard drive, called "This Big Disk". the alias size is apparently 300.1mb!!! why on earth would it be that large?? is it because of spotlight or something similar to it? i dont understand why the alias would be so big, it is basically a hyperlink to the destination file, not a file itself.

Attached Files:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Woah, thats strange. Can you duplicate this 300mb alias (do it again)? Or perhaps just a weird anomaly?

3. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

copy it i can, makes a file exactly the same size... so strange aye.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That is bizarre no doubt! :eek:

I was curious about this so I just tried making an alias of a drive with a little over 750Gb used and the alias was a piddling 72Kb!

When you said that you copied it, did you simply duplicate the existing 300Mb alias file or try creating a new alias as the previous poster intended for you to try??

5. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ohhhh i didnt read into it properly! mybad.

i created a new alias and it is only 60kb. i will leave it for a little while (at least overnight) and see if it makes some sort of spotlight database and put it in the alias.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, that would be interesting in itself if something like that happened-- as I have a couple of full drive aliases that I have had for quite a while that I just checked after you said that- and they are only 34k and 46k. So if yours bloats up it would get even more wierd! One time we can write off as a glitch, but continuously doing it..... :(

7. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm it is so odd!!! it's still a tiny 60kb. thanks for your help on this, if it gets back up ill report it haha.