300Mbps on 2.4Ghz N Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jlin615, Feb 4, 2009.

1. jlin615 macrumors regular

I've seen several N routers that offers speed up to 270Mbps/300Mbps when on 2.4Ghz, such the Netgear WNR2000, and LinkSys WRT610N.

I just bought the Netgear WNR2000 and was only able to get 130Mbps on my MBP and MB. :confused:

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Wireless N is able to do 300mbps in theory. In the perfect world with optimal conditions and no signal loss that may be possible...
    In the real world what your getting is actually really decent!

3. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

According to other threads, I know that 5Ghz will put out 270Mbps-300Mbps. But these 2.4Ghz routers claim to have the ability to do up to 270-300, so I was just trying to find out how can I take advantage of that.

4. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

It also depends on your internet connection.

For example, I live in a small town and our internet options are pretty limited. The fastest connection I get at home is 1 Mbps, irregardless of the capabilities of my router.

5. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

^I actually meant the "Link Rate" in Network Utlity, mine says "Link Rate: 130Mbits/s".

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Internet connection is different. The speeds that the router boxes/users speak of are between the router and the computer. Sure it doesnt matter if all you care about is things outside the network, but the 130-300mbps (or gigbit wired :cool:) are mainly for trasnfering files or what ever else inside your network.

Also, irregardless is not a logical word, its a double negative ;)