Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hi all,

While browsing, I noticed my Mac Pro not open any more Apps. Funny I thought. I'd better restart. It hung after it closed all the programs with the spinning disc (not beachball) still spinning for 10 odd minutes.

I turned it off by pressing the power button for the 7 odd seconds or whatever.

Restarted, and got a black screen with a UNIX terminal style screen with:

CSRHIDTransitionDriver::stop
-sh: /etc/profile: is a directory
IOBluetoothHCIController::start Idle Timer Stopped
-sh-2.05b#

Tried Hardware Test, nothing, even in advanced mode. It started in Target Disc mode, it started up the Apple Installation Disc.
I think it has something to do with bluetooth (and I do have bluetooth) but I don't wanna rip out the Bluetooth card myself...

Any ideas people? AppleCare UK lines were closed - so I called AppleCare USA and the guy there thinks it might be a faulty Logic board - but why would it start ok in Installation mode if the logic board was screwed?

Standard Mac Pro 2.66 with Bluetooth added in Brent Cross. No problems since purchase in September.

Thanks

F

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is the Bluetooth card a third party option or was it the Apple card? Considering it's still under warranty, I reckon it's probably better to take it in to get fixed by a certified repairer. Back up your data with Target Disk Mode first though. Good luck. :)

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
After a visit to a Mac Genius...

So I booked an appointment with a Mac Genius. He looked at it, and said, something is wrong with a startup file. Confirmed my hardware was OK by starting up another OS X drive - worked fine.

So he set about re-installing the 10.4.9 update.

Cool, except it took an awfully long time, like 13 minutes or so. My eyebrows were raised, but fair enough, it did its thing and we rebooted.

Except the only drive we were able to boot from, was the FW drive. 'Oh crap' the Genius said.

Crap? Crap?! WTF does that mean? Bye bye HDD? Bye bye data?

So he starts up again in FW mode and lo and behold, my HDD was wiped. Not exactly his fault. My last backup was about a month ago - lost some files & photo's but generally no big deal.

He replaced my HDD and sends me on my merry little way. I tell him I want my old drive '7-pass' erased, and he tells me once is enough. I tell him again I wanted it done 7 times (since he was so competant at wiping customer's HDD's!) he 'personally' got onto it.

Quick help for you all:

Before re-applying an update to try fix a fault, do a backup!

Cheers,

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.