30bit Color with 27" Dell U2711 + Late '08 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hexley, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Hexley macrumors 6502a

So I have the 15" MBP plugged into the U2711 via mini displayport to displayport cable. I see a picture and it is 2560x1440. I calibrated it with success with the Spyder3Pro.

Now do I need to do anything else to enable 30-bit color?

My GPU's an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256MB VRAM and it is reporting that it is connected to my U2711 at the prescribed resolution at the pixel depth of 32-bit color. Is this the same as 30-bit color?

I just realized it now... but can you use the 9400M on the built-in LCD while the 9600M GT drives the Dell?

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Well 32 bit color is really just 24 bit color which around 16.7 million colors. This is known as true color or 8 bit color (across the three channels, RGB). Your Dell is really just a 10 bit display which capable of deep color or 1 billion colors. So while your display is capable displaying many more colors, the os does not. So there is nothing to set or change the monitor will simply display a narrower range of colors than it's possibly of colors. I am guessing certain applications may be able to use the wide range of colors though like Photoshop.
    And I am positive you can only use one video at once. So using one to power each display will not work.

3. unamused macrumors 6502

how does the MBP run with with this monitor? i plan on getting one next time dell has a deal going on.

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I was going to ask that too. I'm sick of waiting for an apple 27" display.

5. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worth the wait and the money vs a 30-inch S-IPS LCD unless the 16:9 ratio of the U2711 is a bother.

The annoying part is that I had to buy a min displayport to displayport cable. Couldn't they just make everything mini displayport? It is a standard anyways.

It is so good that I am getting another one for the PC. Will be powered by a 5870. But reading the tech specs it does "Deep Color" via HDMI 1.3a only.

What I find annoying is Apple's obsession with LED which reduces the color gamut of the 27-inch iMac LED to 72% vs Dell U2711's CCFL's 102% Color Gamut. I know they're angling the environmento-ecomentalist hippie crowd but it should not be at the expense of quality.

6. cube macrumors G5

This monitor has 10-bit PROCESSING, not 10-bit input.

An LCD monitor with 10-bit input costs at least $2000.

EDIT: Or maybe this model supports it via HDMI?

7. cube macrumors G5

I read that it can input 10-bit via DisplayPort, but that the panel is only 8-bit, so it would have to dither.

Anyway, Macs are only 8-bit.

8. cubiczech macrumors newbie

i think that they are 10-bit , atleast desktop nvidia cards are, maybe there will be problem with some kind of mini display port to DVI converter, but natively, mini display port > full size DP shoult output in 10-bit precision

9. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

Links please.

I read that the panel used (LG.Display's LM270WQ1) is listed as 10-bit but there is some confusion if the U2711 does it end to end 10-bit or goes through 8-bit with A-FRC supporting up to 10-bit color.

It doesn't matter though as neither my NVIDIA or ATI GPUs can support Deep Color at 2560x1440. The feature would be great to have when I upgrade in a year's time.