30gb of data not deleting from SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRdungeon, Apr 9, 2012.

1. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Hey, I've got an early '11 2.2GHz 15" MBP with a 128gb SSD in the boot drive and 750gb drive in the optibay. I converted around 30gb of videos for my ipod but used the default location for storing them which was the boot drive.

I deleted them yesterday, emptied the trash and the Finder seemed to recognise this but activity monitor and istat pro still listed the data amount left as if they weren't deleted. Now today it appears the finder also thinks 25gb is free (should be 55gb) even though there is no trace of the files! Does anyone know what is causing this? Being an SSD there's not much space to spare. Any help appreciated

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers, currently re-indexing the drive, don't think any of the others apply to my case though, I know what is taking up the space and have deleted it, but either the data is still there and hidden or it was deleted yet no software seems to recognise it

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you emptied your Trash? Have you rebooted your Mac?

5. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, definitely wouldn't waste anyone's time posting here without doing that.
    I've been using macs for 15 years and normally figure everything out myself but this one has me stumped :confused:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know what you mean, but it's hard to know how much anyone has done unless they specify. You say you know what was taking up the space. After you deleted it, it no longer shows up in a Finder search, but the space is not released? Did you include system and hidden files in your search?

7. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Good thinking, will try a search once this indexing is done. Thanks for the help so far!

8. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

All fixed up, ending up verifying the disk thru disk permissions which found a few errors, so restarted with command R and repaired it successfully. Thanks for the help

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it sorted out!

10. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright this seems to be a recurring issue, only this time the disk repair didn't do anything. From looking here it seems a few people are having issues with differences between the data they actually have available and data OSX thinks is available. This is really annoying when using an SSD as there isn't the space to burn. Anyone got any help??