30GB of "Other" and nothing else?

NestOfRobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Why do I have 30+gb of "other" on my iPad 3 and nothing else? See the attached screenshot from iTunes. How do I fix this? It had identified some "normal" stuff just a few minutes ago (w/ only 10GB or so of "other").

Help!

Attachments

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
It needs to be restored. Usually an abmormally large "other" section is due to a corrupt file during syncing or setup. A restore should set things right.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Why do I have 30+gb of "other" on my iPad 3 and nothing else? See the attached screenshot from iTunes. How do I fix this? It had identified some "normal" stuff just a few minutes ago (w/ only 10GB or so of "other").

Help!
Have you tried rebooting your iPad? How about a factory reset?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
This issue is old and really really really getting annoying. I've had to do numerous resets of my iPhone and iPad due to it. They need to figure out what's causing and find a fix.

NestOfRobins

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
OP here...

I was prepared to do a restore (having done one last weekend as a result of some failed Siri port installation), but a reboot brought the "other" down to less than 5gb and the "music", "movies", "apps" showed up again.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
be sure and click eject when you get done syncing, if not it can leave the "cache" from app installs etc. per say