30GB or 60GB for MacBook boot drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SirJ, Jul 13, 2009.

1. SirJ macrumors member

Hey everybody

I'm interested in getting a solid state disk for my UMB 2.4. I have mostly standard apps - skype, adium, iLife, office, etc. My question is: How much space will I need for various applications and, of course, OSX? I'd like to have at least 5-10GB available for saving files and downloads when away from my external.

Should I be safe and go with the 60GB or will a 30GB drive be enough?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What's the price difference? I would go for 60Gb because formatting takes space etc. Snow Leopard will take less space though.

3. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

I think you could quite happily live with 30GB, but you would probably regret it in the long run because it limits your options. That said, you could always get a little 2.5" USB powered external drive if you need to store lots of data -- photos or movies or whatever -- on the go.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Have you thought about an Optibay solution to replace your optical drive with a second hard drive?

Otherwise, 30GB would probably suffice for your OS, basic apps, and basic storage (i.e., word documents and the like).

5. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

I believe the 30GB is $130 and the 60 is $190 or so (Newegg prices).

I'd rather not go the optibay route because I'd rather not void the warranty (it voids it, right?).

6. a13x macrumors member

Stick with the 60GB; you'll need the extra space and the price difference isn't that bad.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, I think it voids, because you're removing something and replacing it with something else. Get the 60Gb because it's only 60$ more