30p slow mo, possible?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Dukey, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Dukey macrumors member

Hey gang,

So I'm editing a video and it was shot 29.976 and I was wondering if it was at all possible to do slow mo effect or close to and play it back at 23.97. I'm familiar with twixtor and AE but was if I should even bother... thanks!

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Depends on how much you want to slow it down.

There's the regular method where you just change the playback rate of your clip, but that is literally just changing the length of time each frame is displayed. There's not much latitude to work with there and it'll start to look strobe-like very quickly.

The other method, as you mentioned, is with a plugin like Twixtor. That actually interpolates the information between frames to give you a smoother playback, although you still don't have much to work with 30fps to begin with. So if you're looking to just slow it down half speed or so, then I would think you'd get a decent result. But anything more, then results will likely be hit or miss. Because at that point you're asking the software to interpolate information from the already interpolated subframes.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

iMovie11(don't know about the latest) will do it.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

30p to 24p isn't much room but if you shot at a resonable shutter angle Twixter can do its magic pretty well....I've played with Twixter in both AE and FCP using 60p footage and slowing it down to what a 240fps conform to a 24p project would look like and it looked pretty good, I just had to shoot with a super small shutter angle (aka high shutter speed). If you really want to get gritty you can go into AE or even an NLE and manually copy frames and make moves to the picture, etc. then export it as a higher frame rate video and use Twixter on it and get even MORE slow motion...of course its ALLOT of effort and allot of time to do what I just described. I'm assuming you already shot the footage so I'd say take your chances with Twixter. Even NLE's with a good optical method can do a decent job (provided you have the computer muscle!)

5. Dukey thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks gang, I shot a bunch of stuff on 60fps and slowed it down but never 30fps. So yeah I assumed twixtor wud be my only option, wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well even without Twixter optical flow in in NLE's can be pretty great...for example today I was playing with some 120fps footage and on some shots Final Cut Pro X did a better job on its own than Twixter did. Basically just test it out is all.