Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Let's see:

A $600 phone
New 20" Aluminum iMac, a $1200 all-in-one?
Getting rid of the Mini?
Their CHEAPEST laptop is $1099?

What's up? :(

I remember when this was the problem before back in the late 80's, so to combat it, Apple came out with the Mac Classic (first Mac under $1000!) the LC, and the IIsi...

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Woah, woah, woah buddy.

We don't know that there will be an Alluminum iMac.

We don't know that the Mac mini will be discontinued.

We don't know ANY of that.

There laptops at $1099 are extremely powerful for what you get. A great price compared to other manufacturers.

The iPhone is like no other. Have you looked at the damned thing? It's an amazing work of art which has a great price which many are willing to pay!

Make valid points, next time.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Woah, woah, woah buddy.

We don't know that there will be an Alluminum iMac.

We don't know that the Mac mini will be discontinued.

We don't know ANY of that.

There laptops at $1099 are extremely powerful for what you get. A great price compared to other manufacturers.

The iPhone is like no other. Have you looked at the damned thing? It's an amazing work of art which has a great price which many are willing to pay!

Make valid points, next time.

All a matter of discussion - "MacRumors" not "MacFacts"...

Just wanted to discuss a long-time PC fan's arguments...

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Let's see:

A $600 phone
New 20" Aluminum iMac, a $1200 all-in-one?
Getting rid of the Mini?
Their CHEAPEST laptop is $1099?

What's up? :(

I remember when this was the problem before back in the late 80's, so to combat it, Apple came out with the Mac Classic (first Mac under $1000!) the LC, and the IIsi...

How else are we to keep the riff-raff out?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Most of those things are not snobish, they high end products. Snoobish is expecting people to overpay for an oudated computer, not making nice things.

And the Mac Mini is still here, and even if its gone, its not like the iMac is overpriced, its a good deal for what you get, but not all people want a 1000 computer.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Just wanted to discuss a long-time PC fan's arguments...

They're not arguments because they're not based on facts. I bet you that the Mini will stay. And I also bet you that Apple are very aware of what price points they need to keep their products at... besides, most people keep their Macs for longer periods than they would a PC, which makes them better value in the medium to long term.

Just because some things are more expensive than others, doesn't mean they're 'snobbish'. How can anyone claim iPods, for instance, are exclusive when they have 70% of the market in the U.S.?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Don't forget about the $999 iMac.

Wouldn't that make it $200 cheaper than current 20" iMac?

I don't see the new updated 20" iMac as being only $999, not at the new MacBook Pro specs (Santa Rosa)...

They're not arguments becuase they're not based on facts. I bet you that the Mini will stay. And I also bet you that Apple are very aware of what price points they need to keep their products at... besides, most people keep their Macs for longer periods than they would a PC, which makes them better value in the medium to long term.

Just because some things are more expensive than others, doesn't mean they're 'snobbish'. How can anyone claim iPods, for instance, are exclusive when they have 70% of the market in the U.S.?

I didn't mention the iPods, since they start at $79 and can connect to Windows and Macs...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Remember?

The $499 Mini became the $599 Mini...

Will the $999 17" iMac become the $1099 20" iMac? Very possible... Lots more features for $100 more...

History repeats itself...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The $499 Mini became the $599 Mini...

Will the $999 17" iMac become the $1099 20" iMac? Very possible... Lots more features for $100 more...

History repeats itself...
Amazing. So you haven't noticed the fall in the dollar's value then? You're effectively getting more for the same amount.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I don't see the new updated 20" iMac as being only $999, not at the new MacBook Pro specs (Santa Rosa)...

No, you're just ignoring that the $999 17" iMac exists.

And your "aluminum" 20" iMac at $1200 would be $200 cheaper than the current 20" iMac.

Not that that's going to happen.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Let's not base our perceptions about a brand being "premium" based on rumors.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
I just love the fact that I'm in a minority with my Apple Macs, that's partially the attraction. In order to keep the quality and beautiful design you need to keep the price high and that will always mean a certain exclusivity.

That being said, BMW used to be an exclusive car and now they are as unbiquitous as Fords here in Sunny Belgium.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.