3194 error

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dsaw, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dsaw macrumors newbie

I was trying to update my 3GS to the latest IOS version and it went into recovery mode. I try and restore it and error pop up appears saying that I cannot restore due to ERROR 3194.

I have not attempted to jail break it or anything, I have done the SYSTEM32 script trick and it wont do a thing. Anything would be appreciated

2. chumps52 macrumors regular

"Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the gs.apple.com server on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, or due to your internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network."

Basically, try temporarily disabling any antivirus or firewall, make sure you are connected to the internet and make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes.

3. dsaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn, I really think I am screwed. I'm good with computers, this has happened to me many times before and I'm still getting no results. Is there anything I could do last resort? I mean, other then buy a new phone.

Only if I didnt try and update IOS...

4. chumps52 macrumors regular

Check your hosts file (%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\) and delete any added lines at the bottom?

5. dsaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have done that unfortunately

6. chumps52 macrumors regular

Some more googling
    "What causes the error?
    The error 3194 happens when iTunes tries to validate the downloaded restore file (.ipsw) and is unable to reach Apple’s validation servers. The reason is usually down to something blocking the connection. Other causes are to try to use a firmware version that Apple is no longer signing ie. 5.1.1. So basically you can’t use an older firmware unless you work around the security that Apple has put in place. This article does not cover bypassing these security restrictions.

Common causes are:

Firewall (try to disable it and attempt restoring again)
    Antivirus (try to disable it and attempt restoring again)
    Hosts file blocking access to the validation server. (keep reading for help with these)"

----------

That same article gave me this

"Quit iTunes
    Download TinyUmbrella. (download links on the sidebar of their site)
    Open TinyUmbrella (It requires admin account on the computer)
    Select your iPhone and then click on the “Advanced” tab.
    Untick the box “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (If you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box)” as seen on the screenshot below
    Apply the changes.

Alternative
    As mentioned earlier, what causes the error 3194 in iTunes is the inability of iTunes to contact apple. What TinyUmbrella achieves is to remove any blocks created y a previous Jailbreak or similar to the Apple servers.

We can achieve this manually by editing the HOSTS file in Windows or in OS X. All you need to do is to remove any reference to gs.apple.com i.e.: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com.

In Windows you can find it on: “C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”
    "