32-bit Vista Home Premium on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Built, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Built macrumors 68020

Just purchased a retail version of Vista Home Premium 32-bit and want to install it on my Macbook (2.2 ghz, Leopard, Santa Rosa chipset), which I purchased in late December.

Since the Macbook architecture is 64-bit, but as I understand it, Bootcamp was developed in 32-bit, I shouldn't have any problems installing this version into my existing Macbook, right?

If so, I can always keep the CD as a backup to my other computers (HP desktop and two Toshiba laptops), but I would really like to install this on my macbook.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited to add: I think I misspoke...Thought I read Parallels was developed in 32-bit only but I might be mistaken and it might be Bootcamp which is 32-bit only. Sorry I seem so lost.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It will work just fine. There's no advantage to you going to 64 bit unless you upgrade your computer to 8GB of RAM (which isn't going to well with those that have tried it). 64-bit CPUs can also run 32-bit programs, so it won't be any problem. I've been running that version of Vista on two of my macs and it's ran perfectly.

3. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, akon, for the response and the info. You just put my mind at ease. I really didn't want to go out and fork over another 200 plus dollars!

Thanks, again!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can get the 64-bit discs from Microsoft for free; you only have pay for S/H.

5. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, alphaod. I should do that just to have them on hand. Where on the Microsoft website do I go to request them?

6. jdaco6 macrumors regular

7. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Also make sure to check with your college or university as they may have a student MSDNAA with Microsoft that would allow you to get a lot of MS software for free.

8. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

9. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Great advice. When I go back to UCLA this fall for some continuing ed, I am going to check that out. Thanks!

10. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I decided to go for VMWare Fusion for Mac OSX. Purchased it from Amazon.com for 59.99 with a 20.00 mail-in rebate.

I am looking forward to running Vista on my Mac.