32-bit workaround help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JoLeSi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. JoLeSi macrumors newbie

Alright, I run a 13-inch MacBook Pro. Core i7, 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB RAM. I've also been doomed to have Boot Camp 5, which I never even paid any attention to until now. However, I have a brand new copy of Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, and I will be damned if I have to buy a 64-bit version because of an application's prejudice. I'm generally decent at figuring this stuff out, but this has proven to be a little above me. What would be the best way to go about getting Windows 7 32-bit onto my Mac OS X 10.9 system? Please??

Lewis.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. JoLeSi thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that as well, and used the Custom option, but it never gave me a choice. This is a distribution disc I acquired via a friend who works at a school, and I don't believe it contains both. Basically, I can get it installed, it's finding a way to get the proper drivers. I'm sure there is a way.

Lewis

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

An OEM key (if that's what you have) is for the version of Windows for which it was intended/sold so even if you COULD source a 64-bit installer the key you have wouldn't work.

5. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not just that, OEM keys are also tied to the machine it's installed to if I'm not mistaken, so it can be only installed on one machine and not on others.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

While true based on the EULA, my OEM key has been used on at least 2 builds, maybe 3 (one at a time, thank you) with the primary "factor" in all 3 builds being changed (the mainboard). Never once had to call MS to activate it. In fact, I had to do a rebuild on my dad's system (with his own Win 7 OEM license) and used the exact same install from before the rebuild after swapping the mainboard, CPU, memory and video card - it just needed to have the drivers installed once I booted it to the existing OS after building the system with the old HDD.