32 GB iTouch 1st Gen OR 16 GB iTouch 2nd Gen??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KoalaBear, Dec 6, 2008.

1. KoalaBear macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I hope some of you could give me your opinions on this. My husband just bought be a 32 GB iTouch, but it's the 1st Generation model that was on sale for $299 Cdn. The 32 GB iTouch 2nd Gen costs about $399, while you can get a 16 GB 2nd Generation for $299.
    My question is, would it be better to have the older 32 GB or the newer 16 GB?
    I don't plan on storing lots of videos on there, will mostly use it for music, have some pictures on there, contact info etc...as well as use the internet via wi-fi where available.
    I am debating whether I should exchange my 32 GB 1st Gen for a 16 GB 2nd Gen for the same price?
    I like that the second Gens have an external speaker and volume control, also a longer battery life from what I hear?
    Thanks for your help :)

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If gaming is important to you I'd recommend that you get the new iPod. If games are not important use the old one.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're not going to store a lot of content on it, get the current revision. The extra features are always welcome, especially if you don't need as much storage space.

4. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Do you plan on jailbreaking it? Or customizing the themes and adding you're own touch to it? Do you plan on using 32 gigs? It's all just preference. In your case I would choose the 2nd gen.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The 2G iPod touch's battery if fine, a lot of people are just excited about the games so they started playing them a lot; basically games are a battery killer.
    And how much music do you have?
    Contacts and pictures don't take up that much space at all.

6. KoalaBear thread starter macrumors newbie

You're saying the 2G iPod touch's battery is fine, but I was more concerned about the battery life in the 1Gen as I've heard teh 2Gen is supposed to have a better battery life?

How much music do I have ... hmmm I honestly don't even know how much it is at this point, but I don't think I would need to have more than say 1000 songs on there at a time, in which case I know the 16 GB would be plenty big enough ...

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh, I have never owned a first gen so I wouldn't know too much about that but whenever I am hanging out with my friends and their 1G is fully charged in the morning, I notice my battery has a longer life than. This is when my friends and I are just doing the basics.

I'd recommend getting the 16GB 2G iPod touch.
    Since you don't worry about having too many songs on there it will be perfect, especially since it can hold 3,500 songs.

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I have a 1G iPod touch, and the battery life is fine. However, if you don't need the extra space, go for the newer one. Better get something with extra features that you can use than something with extra space that you won't use.

9. KoalaBear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses...and btw, sorry for calling it an "itouch", I know it's supposed to be iPod Touch and that some people really hate it when it's called itouch...

10. WordLife565 macrumors regular

there really isn't any reason at all for you to get the new iPod touch, you can just upgrade the firmware, and its fine. It would be a stupid move, no matter what, to get the new gen one.

11. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I would go with the newer, yet lower capacity one. If you don't plan to put movies on, and don't expect to fill it with a massive amount of music and photos, then I think you will like the little additions of the second generation. Speaker, Volume controls, and a slight speed bump in its processor.