32 GB RAM still all memory Used Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sourishnath, Dec 20, 2014.

1. sourishnath macrumors newbie

Hello ,

I have recently upgraded to 32 GB ram on my mac pro , but i still see that all RAM is being used up . I am a hardcore user of browsers , primarily Google Chrome 64 Bit . [​IMG]

What is the solution here for high ram usage . Browsers are my primary application here .

Attached Files:

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

So you would like to slow the computer by requiring it to always read from the hard disk instead of using unused ram as a cache?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apparently

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Two simple solutions are to remove RAM or close Apps. Why instal RAM if you don't want to use it?:confused:

5. sourishnath thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies , i understand you guys are trying to be helpful but please be patient with me. Im a windows convert , and how it works in windows is that it uses the ram it requires and leaves the rest . Are you meaning to say that on Mac it caches on the extra ram ?

6. chown33 macrumors 604

OS X manages RAM quite differently than Windows does.

Look at the picture you posted. It shows 16GB of RAM being used for file cache. It also shows zero swap being used, and zero compression occurring.

If you don't know how file cache works on OS X, you should learn how it works before trying to fix it. Because it might not need fixing.

In particular, you should know what precedence the swapper places on the various occupants of RAM: file cache, kernel, active processes, idle processes, dead processes, etc.

At the very least, read this:
    http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

7. sourishnath thread starter macrumors newbie

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Once a program comes around that requires memory, OSX will give it up. until then, it will use the free RAM space to store commonly used hdd files.

9. sourishnath thread starter macrumors newbie

alright . so if the graph is in green i need not worry .

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct. It is quite normal for all of your memory to be in use by OS X. It does not mean that you are running out of memory or that it is maxed out. OS X will manage all available memory, making it available to apps on an as-needed basis. Refer to the following Apple support article for more information on how to understand your Activity Monitor readings.

11. dragon2611 macrumors regular

See http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

I know OSX is not Linux but it does manage memory in a simular way ;)

It's completely normal and as others have said nothing to worry about, the OS will release the memory if an application needs it, but it's better to have it used for file cache than it doing absolutely nothing.

12. ChrisA macrumors G4

What would you prefer, that you install a bunch of RAM and it goes un-used? Mac OS X will always find some use for RAM. As much as you give it, the system will put it to productive use.

If nothing else Mac OS X will use the RAM as a file system cache.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Actually, I don't believe it's all that different. Windows caches programs, and even uses techniques like Superfetch to preload commonly used applications into memory at bootup.

I believe the only real difference is that OSX is more aggressive about it, and tends to hold onto the cache for longer periods of time.