32 gigs versus 64 gigs 3g IPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pollster25, Mar 30, 2010.

1. pollster25 macrumors newbie

Ordered a 32 g wifi & 3g IPad - now thinking of cancelling this and ordering 64g -I now have a 32 g IPhone -only used but about a 1/3 of memory - would IPad various uses cause me to need 64G?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Depends on your finances really. I switched my 3G 32GB to a 64GB WiFi. I can definitely fill up 64GB. Will I use the space more than the 3G? I hope so. I plan to have a ton of Seinfeld, Chappelle's Show, and a nice selection of movies, books, and apps.

It's really up to how much you think you're going to use the media, and if you can afford it.

3. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Yes, definitely depends on your usage. I don't keep movies or anything on my computer - just music. But even then I have an external HD so I can get by with a smaller iPad.

4. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

if your ipad isn't going to be your primary storage device and you aren't going to be regularly traveling for long periods of time, there isn't really a need for anything more then 16gb.

5. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

soon enough....

there will be a wealth of new applications for the iPad. And with it the need for as much space you can get.

Even if you don't load movies on it, this issue will probably come sooner than later. Many folks who use that strategy well on the iPhone will find the same doesn't apply to the iPad.

Expect to see products such as the airstash to take up the slack though.
    Folks will carry and move around data on SD cards to compensate.

http://www.airstash.com/index.html

6. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Pretty cool idea, but I wonder if the $100 price would justify it? You could bump up to the 32 GB for $100 extra. 32 GB SD cards range from $20 to $80. You might be better off just spending the extra $200 for the 64 GB model.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you can afford it, go with the 64GB. I've never heard anyone complaining about having too much space. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Go big or go home. Don't run with scissors. Etc. :rolleyes:

8. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Just keep in mind in your decision process that you will be using the iPad differently than your iPhone. The iPad is intended to be much more of a multimedia device. You might find yourself watching movies on the iPad where you wouldn't have on the iPhone.

9. pollster25 thread starter macrumors newbie

what the hec

I changed order and got the 64 g - what the hec - only $100 more. also added camera attachment. With key pad and power cord and case - gee we are now how$

10. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Personally I went 32. The thinking is, yeah I could fill 64 but do I need to carry that much stuff around? No

Plus my hope is most of people will go 16 for price point, the "money is no object" crowd will scoop up the 64 and there should be a good supply of 32's.

11. CarboysDesire macrumors 6502a

CarboysDesire

How much space does a movie take, on average?

I just know the 2nd generation iPad will be better than the first, so I'm thinking of a 32gig for this go-around, and then a 64gig next time.

Will I regret it?

12. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

well a 90 minute movie is usually about 600-800mb

however with the iPad and its HD capabilities I know I''l be putting some HD video on there and a 90 minute HD movie is between 1.5 - 2gb

13. pollster25 thread starter macrumors newbie

cahange of mind

Thanks for all the advice - as I said earleir - I did call and upgrade to 64G - I agree with those who made this point - who knows what these developers will present to us in the next 6 mos. I'm betting most of these apps will be bigger and as someone said- more like a laptop than another cell phone. The big screen will be huge deal for the internet and subsquent applications all of which will be memory hogs. The only down side to all of this is of course is NEXT YEAR's model. Sure hope this years model is not out of date by next years model! A lot of money to change again next year. I do that every year with my phone - however at about a thousand a pop for an IPad - hope they add a phone so we can consolidate.

14. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

32 is way more then enough. they have already stated that the apps will not be much bigger then the iphone apps. Next year's model will likely be a nice improvement over this one and you will probably want it. Save the money and get the 16 or 32 and use the saved money on the next version. thats my $.02

15. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

But the thing is, you only save $100 and lose half the storage capacity. If you're already spending $720, saving the extra $100 isn't going to make the dent next year any more palatable. But you will probably miss the extra 32gb at some point. Especially when the difference can be offset easily with minimal sacrifices to your lifestyle, and you're getting twice the storage space.

The psychology presented only makes sense if you want to intentionally cripple your device for the next year, so that when the new model comes out you feel justified buying it. From a dollars and cents perspective, the 32GB and 64GB models are basically identical in cost.

16. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Has it been confirmed that iPad 2 will be coming out 12 months from now???

17. talkingnewmedia macrumors regular

talkingnewmedia

I took a different route, choosing the 32 gig (instead of the larger one) knowing that in one or two years I would want the newer version. This worked for me when I bought the iPhone.

Edit: same idea as above, I guess.

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I want to say it was my 8GB 2G iPhone since I never filled my 32GB 3GS, but can't remember. If I recall correctly the lower I was on space the slower/less responsive it ran. I know that was the case with my iPod video, but since we're talking two different storage types I'm not sure.

That's the only thing I was really thinking about since technically an 8GB iPad could've been enough. I only need content space to last the day

19. crashnburn macrumors 6502

So.. 16 vs 32 vs 64..
    Under what kind of usage scenarios.. ? Recommendations and app/ media/ usage patterns of people who are going for 16 / 32 / 64.. ?

20. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Wow, old thread for sure. But capacity issue is the same. 32 works for me.

21. wbeem macrumors member

I recall reading an article stating that it would perform better if no more than half-full capacity. I knew that was true of physical disks, but wasn't aware it mattered with solid state storage.

I have a 64GB iPad 2 and also ordered the same size for my new iPad. It's slightly over half full, so 32 GB would be insufficient for my usage. I load up plenty of music, a few movies, lots of books and photos.

If you're using iCloud Photo Stream, that can eat up some space. If you like taking more photos or movies, you'll want unused space for that, too.