32 or 64 bit Windows 7 in Bootcamp on my new iMAC 21.5"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MACza, May 11, 2011.

1. MACza macrumors member

Hi All

My question is as per the Title of this thread - would I see any benefit in using the 64 bit version of Windows7 over the 32 bit version? I can get both at the same price...

I plan to install Win7 on Bootcamp, then use Parallels to virtualize it - then I have the best of both worlds i.t.o. flexibility in using Windows side-by-side with MACOS and exclusively if the need arises. Unfortunately I do coding on WIndows and NEED to have Windows as well (Sadly :().

Thanks for any pointers!

2. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

100% go with 64 bit, 32 bit is a dying breed.
    Win7 gives you two disks one of each flavour go with the 64 bit.

3. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

As the 32bit version isn't able to use the 4GB of RAM, a simple: go for 64bit!!!

4. MACza thread starter macrumors member

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Will I have problem with any games if I use windows7 64 bit? Any compatibility issue I should aware of?

Does the games take advantage of having RAM >= 4Gb on 64bit? I´ll use BootCamp Windows only for gaming since OSX have all productivity apps I need

6. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I have Win7 64 bit and apart from issues I'm having with the GPU which is not related to the OS all my games run fine.
    There was a problem with my TrackIR not running in 64 bit, but once they released a 64bit version everything worked.
    Win7 64 bit is so good now it would be criminal not to go with it.

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

^ Thanks for your answer, sir

Anyway ..
    Is there any benchmark comparison on gaming between Windows 32bit vs 64bit? Will I notice any improvement using 64bit instead? FPS increase or some sort?

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No real world difference in gaming.

9. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

I recntly installed 32 bit on my brotehrs new MBP and windows can only see 2.2 GB of 8gb of ram, So definitely 64bit