32 or 64 gb?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dominiongamma, Sep 13, 2015.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I'm curious what everyone is getting for storage? I don't plan on using many apps just streaming Hulu and Netflix. My question is will iTunes movies still stream? Thank you!

2. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

50 bucks more for double the storage seems worth it.

3. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

With app sizes limited to 200 meg and anything above that having to be downloaded each time it's needed they aren't using a huge amount of space. Of course it's likely that anything other than games won't reach that limit and even a lot of games probably won't. So we're likely to fit at least a couple of hundred apps on the base model at any one time.

Apple Music and the vast majority of video will be streamed. Likewise photos will be from iCloud.

I just wonder if we really need the extra storage?

That said, I've always been a more is better kinda guy.

4. iPhisch macrumors 6502

If they ever do put out this live tv streaming package, and they allow for DVR'ing said tv, it's possible that 32g might fill up quickly. Say you want to record your local news to watch later when you get home from work. I'm betting Apple won't have access to have all that on their servers, so local recording would make sense. I'll probably get the 64 just to try to future proof this thing as much as I can. And that 200mb app size limit will probably stick around about as long as 25mb OTA download limits did. They can change that limit on release day if they want to.

5. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

Will iTunes movies we rent or buy can we still stream them?

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Surely if they end up allowing DVR functions they will either put out new hardware or allow us to attach external storage for recording.
    If they do bring DVR they still have to take into account the base model and neither 32 or 64Gb is much space for recording functions.

My 1TB HDD fills up fast with recordings at the moment so the storage options they have announced wouldn't cope too well, especially when there are lots of apps eating up that space as well.

I agree about the app size limit changing although I think they will wait and monitor the average amount of downloads we make.

Once they have an idea of how much space the average user is taking up for apps they will know by how much they can increase the local storage without it limiting our downloads by much.

But like I said before, more is better regardless. Even if you don't think you'll use it, we just don't know what the future holds so it's better to be safe than sorry.

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

While they might put out new hardware, I'd bet a lot of money against them allow us to attach external storage.

As for DVR, if they come out with their own "cable" service I would expect that the DVR is more of a bookmark to access the show via the cloud, i.e. whereas we currently now record The Walking Dead as it airs, the Apple cable version would have you select the shows you want to "record" and then later give you access to stream the show from their servers. Same end result but requires less local storage.

8. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Only partially true. From what I read (here - http://www.imore.com/how-new-apple-tv-uses-demand-resources-host-great-apps-and-games), the 200MB is just the initial download. On first launch an additional 2GB can be downloaded right away (in the background). From that, it seems like each app could take up 2.2GB. The On Demand Resources then add content as needed (while removing content not needed). The article explains it a lot better.

Regardless, I'm with you on the 'more is better' part - especially with the relatively minor price difference in the Apple TV.

9. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Movies and TV shows from iTunes get cached into temporary storage on the current Apple TV, so I expect the larger capacity to allow the new Apple TV to cache more content. My kids tend to watch a movie repeatedly. If it's the most recently viewed video from iTunes it won't get re-downloaded on my Apple TV 3. It will be easy for either size of the Apple TV 4 to always be "full", but the system is designed to constantly shuffle data on and off. I think this will essentially boil down to 2 questions:
    Do you plan to use the Apple TV 4 a lot? If so, the larger storage capacity will feel faster due to less waiting for content.
    Do you have very fast internet connection? If so, you can likely get away with the smaller storage capacity.

10. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

11. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I'm liable to eventually get 2 or 3 units eventually, but not all at once. Getting 32 GB and will see if that's enough for all uses before being the other(s) - if I need more storage for the main TV, the 32 GB unit will get moved to the lightest-duty location

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

With all the restrictions put in place, I frankly don't see much point in getting the 64GB model.

If you ask me, Apple should've released $150 for Apple TV with 32GB storage, A8 processor, and 1080p output and $300 for Apple TV with 128GB storage, A9 processor, and 4K output.

Also, Apple really need to make its own gaming controller to tell the gamers and game developers that Apple TV can be a serious gaming device.

13. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

They just should allow the use of "normal" Bluetooth Controllers like the Dualshock 3 or 4 and approximately a thousand generic Bluetooth Controllers from other Vendors - everything would be perfect. I don't understand why they aren't allowing this. It works perfectly on the mac and with jailbreak on iOS...

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple TV does support MFi controllers, but the selection leaves much to be desired and they are more expensive to boot. If Apple makes its own controller like Amazon does, it would legitimize the market and get more people noticed (much like Apple Pencil).

15. Wunderwally macrumors member

Wunderwally

I know, but these MFI cntrollers just work with iOS devices and the (coming) Apple TV. I've seen just one or two with a decent build-quality that i actually would buy, but i think it was priced at 80€ or something wich is extremely expensive (and definitely not worth it if you compare it to Xbox One or Dualshock 4 Controllers which are cheaper and much better).

They wouldn't even have to design and build an own one, just let us use the standard bluetooth controllers we already own (or do both:D)

16. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Yes to both. I use my AppleTV constantly and I have about 58Mb internet connection (well, that's fairly fast for the USA anyway - pathetic). But I'm still really not sure what size to get. I won't be using it for games. But I would download apps like:

Periscope, Instagram, Twitter, Vine, Mail, Calendar, Maps, Safari, Amazon Shopping, FlightRadar 24, and even MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint if it ever came to the AppleTV (I see no reason why it couldn't, just use a Bluetooth keyboard). I may download a few simple games. But all these first person shooters and heavy graphics games, no. I'm not into that stuff.

Don't know if many of the apps I listed are coming to AppleTV, but if they do, those are some of the apps I would be interested in.

P.S. I wonder if the new AppleTV would allow Picture in Picture to watch a video while using another app. Or maybe it is and I just wasn't paying attention (sue me, I've been busy lately).

17. bleachy dude macrumors newbie

bleachy dude

I'm a little nervous to see the Australian price of the new TV.

I always go for the largest available capacity (64Gb iPhone 5, 128Gb iPad Air p) so history dictates I will probably go with 64gb even though I likely won't need it.

My iPad Air (which I have had since launch day) currently has 82.9gb available space. So I should learn that sometimes just getting the highest storage is superfluous to my needs.

18. kds1 Suspended

kds1

As well, getting the highest capacity iOS device just encourages you to put more "junk" on your phone/tablet you don't really need, instead of being more judicious in what you choose.

19. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Unrelated to this thread, but with apps like those and misc input methods, the AppleTV would make an interesting "computer" in some situations.

20. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

My thinking is this: When the first iPhone came out, few people could imagine needing more than 16gb of space. Now, I can't imagine getting one with any less than 128gb.

For only $50 difference, it's an easy choice for me. I have had my current 3rd gen for over 3 years now & may have the new one for even longer. I'm sure I'll be using more than 32gb 2-4 years from now.

21. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Exactly, and with Picture in Picture to use apps and watch content at the same time, the convergence of computer and television is complete (things like El Gato EyeTV used on an iMac, being used as your TV notwithstanding).