32 or 64GB iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tomhfh, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tomhfh macrumors newbie

Hi, I am saving up for my first iPad. I would be using it for mostly recreational use, and would have around 20GB of my iTunes library on it. I will be using iMovie on it quite a lot, and like to have a good amount of apps. 64GB would be great, but is it worth it.
    If I went for 64, I couldn't get camera connection kit or smart cover for a while.

Advantages/disadvantages of both please.

:apple:(also, is there any chance of apple lowering the price of 64GB model?):apple:

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

20GB of music plus the OS leaves you with about 8-9GB of free space on a 32GB model.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

You are talking about 20 GB of your iTunes library. I'm assuming you are talking only about music? Than I'd definitely get a 64 GB model. There's only about 29 GB of actually usable space.

I think 9 GB just for apps and editing (small) movies is too little. If I were you, I'd rather get a 64 GB model and save up some more for the camera connection kit and a smart cover, than buy the 32 GB + cover + camera connection kit at once, only to find out that 32 GB is limiting you.

Oh, and there are rumours that Apple is dropping the 16 GB model, and the 32 GB model will sell for $499. In that case, you can get the best of both worlds. :)

4. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

128GB...

OK, maybe I am assuming too much.
    I recommend getting as much as you can afford, because you WILL need it later if not sooner. You'd be surprised how quick video fills up a device. Audio and apps aren't such a big deal.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

^ disagree. buy what you need. and if you're like a lot of people and plan to resell later on, the cheaper models retain the most value.

6. Kanunu, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Kanunu macrumors 6502

I moved down

I moved from a 64 iPad to a Xoom 32GB (with 32GB chip added for 64 total) to my current 32GB iPad 2. In my case, the main space hog is movies. So now I have 20 movies instead of 40. How many can I watch in a day? Same goes for songs. How much does 20GB of songs represent? My guess is that it is about 1500 songs or 6000 minutes!! That's over three days of continuous play. Sorry but your battery ran out a while ago. :) You just need to be a little more selective. Instead of having every song you have on your iPad, break them into separate playlists and switch them off once in a while.

I am looking into the new Seagate WiFi drive. With 500GB storage it could make the size of storage on the device irrelevant. Drawback is it may be inconvenient for guys to carry along. Better for the females who have a purse. Anyone out there who has one and if so how well does it work with your iPad?

7. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I have 32 at the moment. Due to the file size of apps and films, I suggest the most you can afford.

8. HERO XXL, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

HERO XXL macrumors regular

On the 1st I went "all out" and got the 64. When it came time to purchase the second, I realized that I never came CLOSE to filling it up, so I opted for the 32 to be on the safe side. This time around, I might stay at the 32 or whatever the capacity is before the highest. Even now--I have 20 gigs of JUST comics. Add to the fact that I can delete them on the fly--after I've read them--and it really doesn't warrant a bigger capacity purchase. A lot of people mention movies that they have on their devices--but after you've watched them, then what? Do you guys keep them there?
    Kanunu brought up a good point though--and it's generally what I've subscribed to since buying mobile devices with harddrives--you'll NEVER listen to/watch that much media in one sitting, so why go that route? (this is simply a question I've asked myself--not posing it to anyone here) With the advent of the cloud and taking into consideration that the only place where you'll REALLY need a humungous amount of storage is on your home setup where everything is based/synced/whatever, it just never made sense to me. Yet and still, they still make and sell them in different capacities and people are still buying them in droves, so I guess there is still a benefit--just not to us, the consumers. You know?
    (I liken it to fast food establishments where there are "free refills". If you're eating inside the establishment as opposed to taking it "to go" does it really make sense to buy a "large" size drink? You've paid MORE money, when you can buy the small, FOR LESS, and get up as many times as you want!!)

9. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

The cheapest model. If that's 16gb at $499 (guessing probable), that would be fine. I don't travel and don't need to take everything with me. My music/video library resides on and is accessed from the main computer (Mini). Plus iCloud seems to reduce the need for massive local storage.

Since this technology is changing so fast, I'm avoiding investing heavily in something that'll be outdated in a couple years.

10. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah but anything gets outdated in a few years? xD

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

64 because i have a lot of movies i want to put on it.

----------

you don't even need years sometimes its just a couple of months or maybe even weeks. :(

12. tomhfh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

I think the general consensus is to go for the 64. :cool:

Anyone here have a smart cover/camera connection kit that they cannot do without?

13. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

14. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

We can only guess and assume at this point, however it would be surprising that Apple would do an iPad 3 with the rumoured specs at 16gb as their entry model.

i only say this is if they are wanting to really push the text books and university courses through iPad and get these used in education i would assume that 16gb would be too small. If someone is going to spend around £400 then they wouldexpect to be able to carry plenty of books and still have spare room for other things. Now some of these txt books are 2-3gb.

Also with the higher resolution, both movies and games will be larger in file size. So i would hazard a guess at the entry level being 32gb for the above reasons, unless Apple really try to push cloud and can some way have it where content can be streamlined in a fast way as to not require as much data actually stored on the iPad.

I'd say 32gb,64gb,(96gb or 128gb) i just feel that the 128gb will be quite expensive. I think ipad 2 will still have 16gb, but also think that size will be fazed out for the above reasons.

I think the increased resolution will prob require (again a guess) around 20% more space. So look at the amount of storage you are currently using and times this by 1.2 to give an idea of what you may need next time around.

(obviously music and same resolution video will stay the same, but what i'm trying to get at is if you are almost maxing a 32gb ipad, you will certainly need bigger this time around.)

I'm going to see what the sizes are but think i'm going to opt for 64gb and hope this is the middle one for cost reasons.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think 64 is obviously the best for the op, because it sounds like they have a lot of large media needs.

i'll probably go for 16gb. i don't keep much on my ipad besides pdfs, and those won't take up any more space, even with the higher resolution. i had a 32gb, but only ended up ever having 20-25 in use at any one time, and with dropbox (paid) i really didn't need to have everything in the ipad.

but, i will wait and see what they say with the announcement. 32 was definitely more than enough for me with the ipad 2.

16. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

More then likely going with another 16GB iPad for the 3 since I don't store alot on it and don't really need that much space and don't want to spend much for one :D

17. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Who knows if they bump the size or not, but remember iCloud - if you store your music online, you don't need as much local storage as long as you are connected.

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

19. eaf7s macrumors regular

Shrug. I have a 16GB and iTunes match for my 120GB of music. I transfer movies and tv on a situation-specific basis. Honestly with cloud/iDisk/match access I think it was worth saving the money.

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I will buy a 128 GB if it's available. I currently have a 64 and it's pretty full. I think it likely that we will see a higher capacity ipad3. If Retina display is confirmed, file Dow load sizes and Apps are all going to occupy more space than they did before.

21. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

32GB is cheaper but you'll have less space left for your stuff.
    64GB has more space for you to put things, but it's more expensive.

:p