32 or 64gb?....

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jojoba, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm going to order the 5gen iPod Touch but I'm a bit torn about size.

My music collection is currently 13GB, and my photos are 4,5. They are expanding, but not rapidly. I also like to download Spotify tracks for offline listening. I don't really want to have to manage my music or photos due to storage restrictions. I'm also not someone who does yearly updates on electronics, so I'm thinking a bit long term with this purchase.

I also download some podcasts and TED videos, but those I just watch and delete. The same would be the case with the occasional movie.

So, I'm thinking 32GB should be fine for my use, but I'm just worried about regretting it later. My iPad is 64GB and I currently have 25GB available, but there are apps and docs on there that I won't be using on my iPod.

2. macsnjets macrumors newbie

My opinion for what it's worth, buy the biggest you can afford.

3. JoshAlder macrumors member

this. if you can afford the 64gb then go for it, you dont want to run out of space, its better to have to much than not enough.

4. moderately macrumors 6502

moderately

I went with the 64gig with the original 4g for some of the same reasons. I have somewhat more than 32gigs on it- so lots of storage left.

The thing with the Touch is that it is not simply a player. I am using it to run apps that need ram and cpu strength. With my old iPod storage was the only issue. I am feeling that I will be very lucky to go another year with the cpu and ram in my current Touch. If I had spent less and was hassling with managing music and apps I would be more inclined to allow myself the latest and greatest.

My advice: Buy the lesser, you will want to upgrade the cpu and ram sooner than you think.

5. LordRahl72 macrumors newbie

If you dont go 64g you will wish you did at some point.

My only issue is I wish they would make a 128GB version as I am always having to find things to remove on my 64gb version.

6. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I've got the 3'rd gen. touch - 64gb. I didn't really think I needed the 64gb when I bought it. But, I'm glad I sprang for the extra space. Right now, it has 22gb free.

I keep my entire music library on the iPod, and that may not be the norm. Plus, it usually holds a few audio books and a couple dozen apps.

For me, the decision to order the 64gb 5th gen. was a no-brainer, especially since it has a camera (3'rd gen doesn't).

If you can afford the extra $100, I'd go for the 64gb.

7. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to save up for a bit longer and go with the 64. I want something that can hold my entire music collection, my offline files in Spotify, and all my photos (plus a few various other apps, probably). I agree with those saying that I'll probably regret it later if I go with the 32GB.

8. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

64GB - Movies and Future Proof

For anyone trying to decide what capacity to get (as I was) here are some considerations:

Because the iPT5 has a bigger screen I'm thinking some people might be enticed to use it for watching a lot more videos on. If that's the case then 64Gb might be the way to go.

Having a larger storage capacity also means less time managing your collection as you can store a larger portion of your collection on the device in one go. A good idea if you're doing a lot of travelling and dont have the time or opportunity to add/delete items too easily.

Also keep in mind that as apps grow in size and if future iOS versions grow in size then they may take up more room on your device, leaving you with less space for your tunes and/or movies.

Lastly, remember that the the iPT5 can record videos in 1080p so if you're going to be shooting videos it may be best to have a bit of extra space for that purpose. Again if you're travelling and shooting videos, you dont want to have to worry about running out of space and missing out on capturing special moments of your holiday. In regards to the panorama function for photos, this may take up a bit more space too.

I have a 32Gb 3rd gen iPod Touch which lacks a camera, thus I only ever needed space for my music and the odd video podcast. 32gb was sufficient. But now that the iPT5 (and 4th gen of course) has a camera, my space needs will most likely increase, thus I've considered going for the 64gb version.

And if you're planning on sticking with the 5th gen for 2 to 3 years then spending the extra money would be a sensible investment.

:)

9. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

I made the decision to purchase the 64gb ipt 5g because my old 4g was 32gb and I was constantly running out of space. It hurt putting out the extra 100.00 for the 64gb but now I'm totally happy I did! I have a slew of songs, apps and even a couple movies on my ipod and I still have 20gb left! If you have the means, definitely go big.

J

10. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I have always gone 32gb, but this time went for the White/Blue 64gb. I am so glad I did, because I now have the storage to put all my music, videos, pictures, apps... many of my apps I also download too as well. I always had to delete one thing in order to add another... well those days are over.... How sweet it is!

Love the White/Blue... Couldn't be happier with my decision.

11. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

I'm going with 64 gb. The music library is constantly growing (even if I don't want it to, bah I just give into getting more music :p), and Apps take more space everyday. Add to it notes and potential movies you want to record or picture you want to take and having some extra space around seems like almost a requirement.

I also am one of those who has their entire music collection in their iPod. It's been that way since i had my first classic. I thought that's the iPod's original advertisement slogan or something? Hold all the music you get in your life in your pocket??

12. jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I'm definitely decided on the 64GB now. I have to hold on purchasing for a little bit, because I had a death in my family which caused a variety of funeral and travel expenses. But probably in December :)

13. Cjshino macrumors regular

I have the 32gb model and it has enough space but i wish i got the 64 just to have extra but i dont have an extra $100 to spare. When the Ipt5 was first announced i was bummed not to see a $199 16gb model because i wanted the cheapest one but 32gb is fine for now. Also got a 16gb Ipad 2 and dont download as much apps because of the space.

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

My iPod Touch 4G has more than 32 GB so it's easy for me. But in general there is no expansion possible, iCloud not counting in. So max it out is a good principle.