Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
So the concept of the video on iPhone 4 being 720p is great.
I just wonder if people here can answer:

1.) how much space will 720p video take on the device? I'm taking a vacation on the 17th of july and I'd like this to replace a camcorder

2.) assuming I don't roam on the phone (said vacation is in philippines) then how much battery life will this kill assuming I don't render video on the device and just record and play back.

Perhaps there are users here who can assume the storage needed based on codecs etc...

Any ideas?

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
It all depends on what bitrate the iPhone 4 records video at. For example, my Canon 7D takes up ~ 160MB of space for 30 seconds of 720p video at 24fps, but it records it at a very high bitrate of 46Mbps. I severely doubt the iPhone 4 would record video at bitrates this high. Unfortunately we probably won't know how much space video recording will take until the iPhone 4 is released. Don't know about battery life when recording video, but the video playback time Apple lists is 10 hours. Video recording will use more juice, but how much more we don't know.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's just a guess, but I'm betting on 3 to 4 GB per hour of video.

Really, it could be anything from 2 to 40 GB per hour, so your guess is as good as mine. But I'm putting my money on the 3 - 4 range.

daphuon2

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Where is this 960 value coming from? 720P is 1280x720.

I have no idea if his source is right, but 960x720 is the exact same frame size that DVCPRO HD uses. It's an anamorphic format which means that it records at 960x720 and then stretches itself to play back at 1280x720.

So I suppose it's possible that the iPhone will be doing the same thing.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Where is this 960 value coming from? 720P is 1280x720.

They just doubled the VGA resolution (from the 3GS). So if anything the 21GB for 250 minutes of video is probably on the small side (assuming the video compression stays the same).

EDIT: actually re-read the article. They say they doubled the resolution, but the numbers don't bear that out :/.

daphuon2

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
i dont know if hes right or not, im just trying to give u guys a better idea of how big it might be from someone who has did the math... like i said, i dont know if hes right or not, but it should give u a ball park.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
i dont know if hes right or not, im just trying to give u guys a better idea of how big it might be from someone who has did the math... like i said, i dont know if hes right or not, but it should give u a ball park.

But the OP's question was not how storage would be affected but how it would affect battery life. Does it take more power to shoot higher density video? I don't know.

daphuon2

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
But the OP's question was not how storage would be affected but how it would affect battery life. Does it take more power to shoot higher density video? I don't know.

he had a 2 part question, and one of them was how much space hd video would take.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Well... I don't understand the math... but I think it's pretty simple. The Flip camera I had held 8 gb and record two hours. I'm pretty sure this will be similar with the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.