320GB hard drive for the macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elatirio, Apr 18, 2008.

1. elatirio macrumors newbie

Hey all, nice to join the mac community.

i have a question related to upgrading the macbook 13" hard drive. i've found this 320GB Samsung HM320JI SpinPoint. I went through some user comments on the hard drive and they didnt seem very possitive.

Is there anyone who can give me some feedback about this drive?
    -sound levels
    -performance

Thanks in advance,
    elatirio

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

There has been good feedback on the WD 320gb. This is the one I bought from newegg a few eeks ago. It's been great so far.

3. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

A number of people have bought the external WD320 (I think it's called a Passport, and is in a little black enclosure). Snap the case open, take the drive out of it, swop it into your MacBook and put your old drive in the enclosure. Instant backup (but it is only usb, not firewire). I did this on my MBP and it worked a treat. Search the forum for the relevant threads.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have that drive in an external enclosure and it's pretty much silent, other than head movements.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

In most cases good feedback online means it is a good product, i have only used the WD 320GB and its fantastic. The MacBook makes it so easy to upgrade he hard drive, you will really have to try hard to mess it up.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Are the drives in the Passport cases the same as the bare drives sold? My understanding was that WD Passport drives have a much lower cache 2MB compared with 8MB of the bare drives. That seems to be borne out by the specs on dealer sites.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I heard that too, but I can't research it to prove it

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, they use the same drive.

The only thing I'm unsure about with regards to the WD Passport drive is whether breaking into the external case and putting the drive into your laptop would completely void the warranty if it breaks. If it does, you may as well just purchase the internal version and have a warranty.

9. pna macrumors 6502

This was true for the 250 gb drive, but when I looked into it, WD only makes one 2.5" drive in 320 gb capacity, and it has the 8 Mb cache. That convinced me to go the passport route. At the time, I paid significantly less for the passport by getting it from a guy on craigslist ($125), but the passport was only marginally less expensive new than a bare drive. In that case, if you have any concerns at all, including about the warranty, you might as well just buy the bare drive along with one of the $10 external SATA 2.5" enclosures and call it good. The price difference isn't enough to worry about.

10. elatirio thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh great feedback. i think im gonna give this hard drive a try. btw i was asking for the internal version of the drive, as its gonna replace my existing internal one;.

thanks everyone :)

11. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

I just bought a WD 320 drive, it should be coming in on monday. Along with some nice 4GB ram.

Mwa hahaha!