320gb(ish) SSD question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AeroUK, Apr 2, 2011.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Ok I am sorry, I know this a noob question but I wanted to upgrade my 2010 MBP to this years model but decided it's a waste of money.

I want to buy 8gb of ram and a 320(minimum) SSD. I can then use these in the future in another machine also.

It just seems complicated. Can someone tell me of a good 320 SSD that is fully compatible with my MBP. It seems like such a gray area...

Best

Aaron

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your best option is 300GB Intel X25-M. Its price is 529$. Otherwise you are looking at 480GB or 512GB SSD and they will set you back by over 1000$.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

What's really a waste of money is getting a 320GB SSD. The small performance increase doesn't justify the cost at this point in time.

4. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Small performance increase?

I'm guessing you don't have an SSD. These. Things. Fly.

5. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

If you plan on buying your SSD now and know you will add this SSD drive to your perhaps MBP 2012 purchase, then make sure you get a new SATA 3 compatible SSD drive !

Intel 320 is only SATA 2 compatible and frankly not that much faster than the drive it succeeds, the Intel X-25 M SSD drive.

So I would recommend you get a new SATA 3 SSD drive, which will be compatible with the old SATA 2 standard.

Intel 510 is rumored to have firmware issues in the newer MBP's, so maybe wait out or consider the new fast OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive in 240 GB.

Larger than 240 GB SSD is expensive at the moment - so maybe consider a 500 GB Seagata Momentus XT hybrid SSD/HDD drive in the optibay and then an OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB in the harddrive slot and you have a very speedy system for sure :)

6. Resist macrumors 68030

True I don't have an SSD, but I have read the performance numbers. Maybe we just have different opinions on what is considered fast.

It is with that in mind, that I still say a 320GB SSD is not worth the price.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The newest SSD are almost twice as fast as the fastest HDD in day to day usage. See this test. It really does transform a computer. You should try one out.

If it is worth the money I suppose is highly subjective and for the purchaser to decide.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I depends on the person / budget. After using an SSD it's very hard to go back to a disc hard drive.

9. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

There is no comparison using a SSD vs. a HD. I had an Intel X-25 M in my 2007 MBP and now have a new 2011 MBP 2.3 i7 and for many things that I do on a daily basis, the four year old MBP is faster because of the SSD. I am waiting a bit to find the best SSD for my new MBP to take advantage of SATA III. I also think that I'll get a larger drive this time so I don't have to have dual drives.