320m and Diablo III

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by NZed, May 16, 2012.

1. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Since there is a 9400m and Diablo 3 thread what about a 320m and Diablo 3 thread? How was your performances?

2. doh123 macrumors 65816

should be much better... that thing benchmarks about twice as fast as a 9400m

3. NZed thread starter macrumors 65816

NZed

The thing is, the 320m is not in the compatible list nor the incompatible list.

4. aleXXXps macrumors member

I've logged over 14 hours into the game with my 320m in my 2010 white MacBook with the Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4ghz. The only thing I did was upgrade the ram from 2gb to 4gb and I put a 500gb 7200rpm hard drive in. Every 20 minutes or so I might get a slight stutter, but otherwise it runs pretty smooth and I can keep up with my friends who have expensive gaming rigs. The laptop does get very hot fast and I have to play it with my cooling pad on underneath or else it feels like it's going to melt and self destruct.

Oh and don't expect anything other than low settings. I play at like 1200x800 or something close to that and everything is on low.

It is very playable as long as you don't care about graphics and focus on great gameplay.

5. Aflatminer macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried this is bootcamp? I have heard that performance may increase by a decent if not dramatic margin when running on equivalent hardware in Windows.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I doubt that's true. Blizzard goes to great lengths to make sure their games run equally as well in OSX. They aren't a "build it for windows first, port it to osx later" kinda of company.

They are both equal in Blizzards eye, and always have been.

7. Json81 macrumors regular

I'm not so sure about that, both world of warcraft and starcraft 2 runs better in boot camp.
    Even if the games are developed for OS X the graphic drivers for windows are more optimized.

I have only tried in OS X so far, macbook 2.4GHz, 320m, 8GB ram and SSD.
    It runs ok on low (around 30fps), at least as far as I've played. Maybe it get's worse later in the game with more enemies though.

I will try boot camp and report back.

8. badcalorie, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

badcalorie macrumors newbie

I've got a mid-2010, 13" MBP
    2.66 GHz
    4GB RAM
    320M graphics

I took my chances and went out and bought it tonight. Blazed through Act 1 with most settings on medium, resolution high as it will let me. I think I have shadows turned off, might have to check. I also turned AA off, but did not click the turn off FX box. Definitely not as pretty without the AA. It was running in high but was starting to get pretty slow. Can't remember what it was but something shot out of the ground at one point a couple quests in and it stuttered pretty bad, so I turned things down. Like I said only got through Act 1 so I don't know how long medium setting will work good (fingers crossed its good all the way). I was also playing alone. So far so good. Personally, I could care less about how 'great' it looks. I would have been just as pleased if it were the same graphical quality as Diablo II, well maybe not... Actually pretty impressed with this setup, reading the Blizzard forums I was getting worried.

----------

There was some card list (some 3rd party reviewer) linked on the Blizzard forums that listed the 320m as being a medium quality card for the game.

9. doh123 macrumors 65816

There is only so much blizzard can do...

most nvidia GPU Macs can run games faster in Windows, if its using DirectX in Windows... this is mainly due to driver issues, but the fact nvidia focuses on DirectX support more than OpenGL. If its n OpenGL only game, it usually runs about the same in Windows and OSX.

10. Jumpkix, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012

Jumpkix macrumors newbie

Bootcamp experience

Just wanted to ring in about the MBP 2010 with the 320M. Only upgrade that I have is 8GB of ram memory and everything else is original.

I can attest that running in boot camp gets you ~10-15+ FPS over OSX and it additionally runs overall smoother. I ran it on 1200x800, high textures, low physics, no shadows, and no AA. Very very playable & looks good in Win 7. I will be playing in bootcamp for now until a patch/fix will be available to optimize OSX.

However, the MBP does get a bit warm. I think the excessive heat is not good for the MBP, so I might buy a gaming laptop to reduce the trauma I'm inflicting on it. Hope this helps others...

11. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

While always the case to some extent, the general consensus in the Mac forums for Diablo 3 is that there is a huge upgrade in performance if you run the game in Bootcamp and your computer has an nVidia chip in it.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

There have been a number of reports on various forums of the game running much better in Windows under Bootcamp then in OSX.

13. Aflatminer macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll be installing under bootcamp shortly.

14. malman89 macrumors 68000

Case and point: Drivers. OS X's are almost always outdated and inferior. Whether it's 2% or 20%, it's more likely to run better in Win XP SP3/Vista/7.

15. Json81 macrumors regular

I just tried D3 in boot camp.
    It runs alot better.
    Same graphics settings (low), 25-30 fps in OS X, ~45fps in windows 7 with latest nvidia driver.

16. Aflatminer macrumors newbie

I've since been playing in bootcamp on my 13" MBP's native res with everything on high except shadows (med) with AA on and it runs smoothly but I have only played through the beginning of the game on single player.

I also ran it through my 23" external monitor at 720p which obviously is a lower res but native aspect ratio and it looks and plays great (to me anyway). Here's hoping that I can make adjustments to keep it smooth throughout the game without sacrificing too much graphical quality.

Overall much better performance out of the 320m than I expected.

17. koban4max macrumors 68000

2.66 macpro 8gig Ram
    5770 Rad. graphic card

and its fast so far...no lag/slowing down

18. AppLCII macrumors member

AppLCII

I too have a 320m = macmini 2.66ghz 8gb of ram + bootcamp.

I was wondering how people bought their copies of diablo 3.

Online or physical copy?
    Can you load both on windows and osX with an online purchase?

If Diablo 3 runs decently on this chipset, will SC2 run fine too?

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I bought it online. You get access to both platforms regardless of how you get it.

SC2 should run fine on low/medium.

20. AppLCII macrumors member

AppLCII

21. foiden macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I'm still running the game in OSX. Diablo 3 in Lion runs around 30fps (about 24 minimum) in 1280x800, No AA, High Texture, High Physics, Low everything else, on the Macbook Air 13" 2009 320M with 4MB Memory and the 2.13GHZ processor.

I'll probably check it out in Windows a bit later, but right now, it's perfectly playable even through Act 3.

Oddly enough, I've seen slowdown (not detrimental) in only a few places in the game, so far. However, enemy numbers alone seem not to have too much to do with it. Often enough, it runs just about the same with a screen full of enemies compared to just a few.

22. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

You mean 2010 MacBook air? The 2009 did not have the 320m.

23. foiden macrumors 6502a

You're right. I stand corrected. It was the late 2010 MBA.

24. aleXXXps macrumors member

I just installed it on my bootcamp partition and upgraded to 8gb of ram instead of 4 in my 2010 macbook white. The performance increase for Diablo 3 is blazing. It stuttered in OSX, I had to run it all on low at 1024x640 resolution, and couldn't leave any other programs open (my friends like to use skype while we play). Now that I have it in windows, it runs smooth and I have most settings near high and at the highest resolution my macbook allows.

Bootcamp all the way for the 320m chip or any low end systems!

25. SBradford macrumors member

Are you able to turn shadows on when using bootcamp?