32bg or 16gb IP4? Currently 3gs with 6gb available

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple281, Aug 5, 2010.

1. apple281 macrumors member

I have a 16gb 3gs with 6gb available. I'm going to get a ip4 and wondering if i should stick with the 16 or get a 32?

2. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

flip a coin heads 16gb tails 16gb.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

Get a 32gb

I have a 32gb model and don't even have a ton of music compared to many people, and after a couple vacations this summer (photos and video recordings) and whatnot, I'm down to 17gb free space. I'd be kicking myself if I'd gotten a 16gb

4. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

It's not worth the VERY steep increase in price. My iPhone 3GS does fine on 16GB. It's good practice changing your music library. Very few people have full 32GB iPhones and actively listen/watch all of the content on it. Very few.

5. apple281 thread starter macrumors member

My 16gb is fine for my 3gs but i'm getting a iphone 4 and is has hd vid. So that's why i was considering the 32gb.

6. DavidMc macrumors member

I went 16gb again since I always had at least 2-4gb of space free on my 3G. I also have a first gen 32gb ipod Touch that I fill with movies to use while traveling so huge space wasn't always a concern to me on my iPhone. I figured 16gb would be fine again but I just ran into a situation where I am second guessing myself. I just spent a week in Florida and despite taking both my Canon Rebel XTi and my Canon HD camcorder, I found myself using my iPhone4 more often for pictures and HD video since the camera is that good and convenient. Since I sync with my iMac back home I had to wait till I got home to sync. I left the house with a little over 2gb free and got home with about 750mb. If you think you are going to use this as a camera and camcorder a lot with out being able to sync immediately, you may want to reconsider that extra 100.00.

7. Stein357 macrumors 6502

8. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

9. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

For me it's not about listening to everything on my phone. It's about having more choices available to me when I do want to want to listen to something. With my 8GB 3G, I was constantly switching music around. And yet I always seemed to be in the mood for something not on my phone. With my 32GB phone, I can have a lot more choices available when I want them.

I don't get this. I'm constantly moving pictures / movies from my phone to my computer. Unlike music, I don't understand why people leave photos and videos on their phones. I used to work with a guy who kept every single picture ever taken on his phone. I prefer to keep that stuff cleaned up.

10. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I got a 32GB because more gee-bees is more better.

Seriously, with the new, nicer camera and video capabilities (I came from a 3G), I figure I'll need the extra space.

11. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It's an extra 100 + tax, are you really going to get that much extra on resale? Most likely you are going to break even.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

By the sounds of it you don't have a ton of music or apps, so it probably comes down to how much you use the video camera.

The new 720p camera produces very large files that could eat up your 16gigs pretty fast. If you don't video very often, you're probably fine with 16. Otherwise, 32 is a must.

I'm a dad with crazy kids that are always providing funny videos. If I had 16 I'd be in serious trouble. :)

13. MCRunning macrumors 6502

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

An extra hundred bucks for more space for the next 2 years is totally worth it for me. The video recording does take up alot of space (I record my four year old, and those videos I would like to keep on my phone to show my parents and brother what my son is to when I visit them). Plus like I said I'm gonna have this phone for two years, an extra hundred upfront and not have to worry too much about how much storage space I have left for the next two years is worth it to me.

15. DavidMc macrumors member

I was this way on my 3G. The picture file sizes were so small it really didn't matter. Now I am treating my 4 no different then my Rebel or Canon HD Camcorder. The pics and videos get synced and the originals get deleted. I still have all the original 3G pics that I need to get off there. I like to have a gallery though of the kids for when people want to see pictures of them. I need to update them and get those down to 1 small gallery of pics. This will give me a little more space but for me I think the trick will be to put my wife on an iphone this January when her upgrades is available but give her the 16gb and I get a 32gb. I still say if you really plan on using the camera a lot and will find yourself in a situation where you cannot sync for an extended period of time, go for the 32gb.

16. -PsYcHoNoVa- macrumors member

Why is it that people ask questions like this often? Some of you don't know how to think for yourself. Only the user has a clue as to how much memory he or she needs.

17. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I live in Oregon, so no sales tax :).

18. thecarrot macrumors member

Get the 32 for the extra space, since it's not expandable you'll never know down the line if you want more space...and also another + is if you're ordering online or even trying to get it from a store, they will nearly always have a higher availability of the 32, so less wait time too :)