32bit/62bit? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephDuffy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi, I recently DL'ed CheckUp from Apples site.
    When I loaded it up it said "Capability: 64-bit or 32-bit".
    Is this really right, I thought "Woooo!" when I saw this, but is it reliable. I've the last years model MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.40 GHz.
    If so, do I need a different version of Snow Leopard to make it faster? Same with XP, is there and XP version, or will I already have it? And do I start DL'ing the 64-bit stuff, on Windows and Mac? ( I'm running Windows in Boot Camp, when it works again...:confused: )
    Thanks
    Joseph Duffy
    Note: I'm going to post about my Boot Camp issues, and will put a link here to it, if that's OK!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

XP 64-bit is terrible; good luck getting the right drivers/support.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Your mac can run 64bit.

2. on OS X: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

3. Apps, you might need updates to run in 64bit mode, but only high performance apps would need 64bit mode in OSX, as OSX already supports >4gb RAM on 32bit core OSX.

4. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks? So should I get Vista 64-bit? And should I DL 64-bit apps/programs. Are there separate 64/32-bit OSX applications?

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Don't bother with Vista, go with 7 if you need windows.

6. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Have you seen the price! I've only got a 200GB HDD aswell, so I'll have no room. And if you need a more powerful PC to play things on Vista than Xp, then surely you need more to run on 7 than Vista? I'm looking to get everything out of my games, even 2 extra FPS would be heavenly!

7. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Windows 7 is Microsoft's "equivalent" to Snow Leopard insofar as that it does run far better than Vista on lower-specced machines. For instance, 7 will run on a fair few newer netbooks whereas Vista would be even more of a hopeless mess than it usually is.

I wouldn't say Windows 7 is good value but it's a far better deal than Vista. Also, from my experience, games such as FSX see increases of 5-10FPS while under 7 in comparison to Vista.

8. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

Just because I've now got a 64-bit CPU, should I get Windows 7, just because of the 64-bit. I meen 2GB RAM, compared to 128MB, that's over 1.75GB of RAM taken by the OS alone? I may have 4GB, but still!
    Will the 64-bit outweigh the more power needed overall?
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Joseph Duffy

9. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Whatever you use your computer for, if you have the option to use a 64 bit OS then you definitely should. Even for general tasks, 64 bit offers up five times the performance of a 32 bit OS.

If you can deal with Vista, I'd recommend picking up a copy of 64 bit Vista Ultimate after the release of Windows 7. Not only will it be cheaper than 7 but your games and suchlike will thank you for it.

10. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

imo you might as well just stick with 32 bit XP

the drivers and support are there, and it actually runs fine.

in my experience, in bootcamp and VMWare, 64 bit windows OS' are a royal pain in the nether region, and don't offer enough of a performance upgrade to justify their use.