32G iTouch rookie

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iDontKnow, Aug 13, 2008.

1. iDontKnow macrumors newbie

ok guys, i have a new 32G with version 1.1.4 (4A102). i have no idea what Jailbreaking is or does. no clue what Brick means. should i do any of these thing before i DL 2.0? can you give a brotha some help here??

appreciate all your help.. and try to keep the rookie insults to a minimum please:D

2. nintendude macrumors 6502

jailbreaking is basically modifying the software to allow you to run third party applications

brick means that your iPod is the equivalent of a brick

if you want to jailbreak your iPod, use the pwnage tool after 2.0 is installed. i'm sure you dont want to brick your iPod

3. iDontKnow thread starter macrumors newbie

and where would i get "third party applications"? really... you might as well be talking to a 6 year old... i am very new to this..

4. nintendude macrumors 6502

when you jailbreak, theres an app called installer thats installed on your iPod. it allows you to install 3rd party apps. 3rd party applications are apps that are made by people outside of apple

5. iDontKnow thread starter macrumors newbie

are these the free ones i keep hearing about? or are they just "aftermarket" types?

6. Master Debater macrumors member

jailbreaking is a way to get apps from other developers by putting an icon on your ipod called 'installer'. through this u can download other's apps. you should do this at your own risk, because you're not really supposed to jailbreak an ipod (it could lead to bricking it, which means everything stops working).

the 2.0 software, made by apple, also lets you get apps from other developers, though some aren't free. however it's a 'legal' way to get these 3rd party apps.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i generally advise most people not to jailbreak their ipods unless they know what they are doing and are comfortable with it. SInce you are new...i can just see bad things happen..and apple will simply say tough luck..you mess with their product they shut their support to you.

Third party apps with 2.0 are fine. I think if you give it more time...they will get better and more advanced.

8. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

Jailbroken apps are from developers from outside of the offical Apple app store. They might work great but they might also be full of bugs and crash your iPod whenever you run them. You try your luck and take your chances. Some are free and some you pay for. You access them from the website of whoever happens to make or offer each app.

The other way to get apps is through the official Apple App Store - which you access through iTune Music Store on your iTunes software on your computer. The advantage to getting apps this was is that they are all in the one place, are easy to put on and take off the iPod and they are officially sanctioned by Apple - if they come from the official App Store, they are going to work right and not cause your Touch any problems. (Or if they do, Apple will work with the developer to get the problem fixed quick smart). Some of these apps are free, some you pay for.

Jailbreaking has been really popular up until now because there were no 'official' apps other than the ones that came in the box. If you wanted anything extra you had to jailbreak your phone/Touch and go out in the woods with all the lions and tigers and bears.

Now that the app store is available jailbreaking may become less popular. It's an arguable point. If you do jailbreak your device just be aware that it brings complications. Apple auto upgrades don't always work, or if they do they may unbreak your phone and you have to reload all your jailbroken apps. Reliability of the device may go down due to badly written apps.

If you're a tech wiz, you might prefer jailbreaking - most techies do. If you're a regular Joe User (like me) then maybe not.

9. Googon macrumors member

I plan to Jailbreak my iPod when I get it next week along with my MacBook and printer! Weeeeee!

10. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I jailbroke my ipod touch as soon as I got it and I wouldn't recommend the 2.0 update - a lot of people seem to be having problems with it. A 1.1.4 ipod touch, jailbroken, is a lovely thing. :)

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Hey iDontKnow and everyone else who's not thoroughly versed in jailbreaking or otherwise hacking iPod touches and iPhones (that includes me)...

Just wanted to let you know that there are "Guides" about some of these topics on MacRumor's wiki site. You can get to it through a tab near the upper-right corner of the page, or directly to the iPhone / iPod touch category through this link:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:iPhone_and_iPod_Touch

Of particular interest might be the article Pwn your iPod Touch with Pwnage Tool, "pwn" being synonymous with jailbreaking.

Most of the articles are a bit rough around the edges so if you learn something not listed, or think of a better way to word some instructions, just right in and edit them.

I certainly do not mean to discourage threads like this, since I (and many others, I'm sure) learn a lot from them. But I think the Guide articles are a very often overlooked resource. :)