Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

smchan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I'm in the camp of trying to get another few years out of my 2008 Mac Pro. My intent is to upgrade it from 16G to 32G memory and the GPU from a GTX285 to a GTX680.

Does anyone have any experiences - positive or negative - with any of the ebay dealers selling 32G memory upgrades for the '08 Mac Pro? Their prices are significantly lower than OWC and other online vendors, so I'm wondering what I'm missing...

Thanks,
Sam

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
When I went to 32GB on my old 3,1, I got RAM from 1-800-Memory through Ebay and the RAM worked fine until I sold the computer and I have no reason to believe the RAM has any problems now.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Buy from reputable dealers with a huge feedback history and you should be fine. Paypal can help you if things go sour.

check out men-store on ebay for some pretty good deals. I'm currently looking at picking up 2x 16gb 1333 ram from them. You will have to pay sales tax if you are in CA. I believe they offer 1yr warranty as well.

I've bought a GPU on ebay and it worked fine for the few months I've used it. Sold it right after that. Usually if the GPU works for the first 2 weeks it without an issue, it should keep working for a while if not abused.

Who knows, even new graphics card have issues.

smchan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
A quick follow-up... I decided to buy the memory from NEMIX through Amazon. Installed 32G (8 x 4G) total. The 1st memtest pass was fine; working on the 2nd pass now.

I also have a GTX 680 which I'll flash soon. Between the GPU and extra memory, I should get another year or two out of my machine.

Sam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.