32G memory upgrade for 2008 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smchan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. smchan macrumors member

I'm in the camp of trying to get another few years out of my 2008 Mac Pro. My intent is to upgrade it from 16G to 32G memory and the GPU from a GTX285 to a GTX680.

Does anyone have any experiences - positive or negative - with any of the ebay dealers selling 32G memory upgrades for the '08 Mac Pro? Their prices are significantly lower than OWC and other online vendors, so I'm wondering what I'm missing...

Thanks,
    Sam

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

When I went to 32GB on my old 3,1, I got RAM from 1-800-Memory through Ebay and the RAM worked fine until I sold the computer and I have no reason to believe the RAM has any problems now.

3. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Buy from reputable dealers with a huge feedback history and you should be fine. Paypal can help you if things go sour.

check out men-store on ebay for some pretty good deals. I'm currently looking at picking up 2x 16gb 1333 ram from them. You will have to pay sales tax if you are in CA. I believe they offer 1yr warranty as well.

I've bought a GPU on ebay and it worked fine for the few months I've used it. Sold it right after that. Usually if the GPU works for the first 2 weeks it without an issue, it should keep working for a while if not abused.

Who knows, even new graphics card have issues.

4. smchan thread starter macrumors member

A quick follow-up... I decided to buy the memory from NEMIX through Amazon. Installed 32G (8 x 4G) total. The 1st memtest pass was fine; working on the 2nd pass now.

I also have a GTX 680 which I'll flash soon. Between the GPU and extra memory, I should get another year or two out of my machine.

Sam