32g vs 64g? (ver. 623.1)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brudog68, Mar 9, 2011.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

As Im sure no one else has asked anything similar (jk) :D....I am debating between 32 & 64...

I plan on carrying approx 10g in music, but very few photos and home video...approx how big are the average movies, ebooks, and apps?

Just ball park me...trying to see that 32g will be plenty for me...Id like to take that extra $100 and use for accessories, but afraid ill get cramped at 32g?

Your serious thoughts and smart*** remarks please? :rolleyes:

2. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I'm on the fence about this myself.

I had a 32 gig iPad 1 and it worked out ok with about 10 gig of music, some limited family photos, one movie, and lots of apps.

This time around though I'm conflicted because:

1) on the good side, Home Sharing now means you practically don't need any music on the iPad itself if you don't plan on using it outside the home for music; but

2) I'm not likely upgrading to iPad 3 b/c I don't want to keep bleeding money in the name of Apple profits.

Therefore, I am thinking about just going 64 gig for future-proofing and letting it ride until iPad 4 or so. Lol.

That's my take. So FWIW, 32 is very manageable, you just can't load it with tons of movies and pics and apps.

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I always have my phone with me, and have my music on that so I just don't put music on the iPad.

4. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

I rip movies all the time to my computer.. On average a movie is around 1-1.5 GB using the default preset on Handbrake. Some are as high as 3GB (avatar) and some are lower (but not by much).

I plan on purchasing the 64g mostly because this is a gift and I was given the money for that version. If I were to pay for it myself I would more than likely get the 16 or 32g and put limited videos (not much of a music person) and use apps like air video (streams video from your computer) and pandroa/iHeartRaido (for music)

5. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

Many iPad apps can get pretty large as well (games etc.), that in mind with my photos, some music, and movies, I'm glad I went for the 64GB model. No tearing my hair out but sometimes I wish there was a 128GB model. :eek:

Getting ready for a long road trip so I dropped some extra movies in but here is an example of having that extra space can keep yourself sane (and your kids quiet) :p

[​IMG]

6. carlili4190 macrumors regular

I am going to be a first time iPad buyer. I don't know if I should get the 32 or 64 wifi. I have 8 gigs of music 8 gigs of photos and about 1-2 gigs of apps on my iPhone. Would the 32 worl for me?

7. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Simple math my friend...

8GB (music) + 8GB (photos) + 2GB (Apps) = 18GB.

18 < 32

Unless you are planning on adding 14.1 more GB of content, then the 32GB iPad would work for you.

8. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

SOLD

Thanks for the input everyone

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

10. ravenas macrumors regular

This is my problem.

I have 15.6GB of music, 5-6GB of apps and a ton of video. I can stream in the house but I frequently want to access that particular video file while outside the house and waiting in the doctor's office or elsewhere. At home I can access the same video and music on any of my computers or my TVs, but I didn't buy the iPad to just use in my house. It's a mobile device.

Only warning I'd give the OP is to be aware with your iPad you may find yourself needing different apps and content than an iPhone. My iPod Touch is just fine for listening to music, and even preferable with earbuds, but I find watching video and looking at photos merely adequate. E-book reading is tedious, web surfing is almost painful as is text editing (I can never hit the right softkey) and I wouldn't want to draw on the thing. But my iPad's bigger screen encourages me to do all those things. And I found it easy to play some music in the background while reading an ebook or surfing the web. It's just easier to use the same device for all that rather than wear down the batteries on both my Touch and iPad.

If money is really an issue (it was for me when I got the 32GB iPad1) then you can manage with 32GB. But you may find yourself syncing and swapping a lot.

11. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

If you want to be able to view your videos out of the house from your computer check out Air Video
    iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-watch-your-videos/id306550020?mt=8

12. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

Personally, I use ZumoCast. It's free and supports realtime video transcoding and streaming, file browsing, music, you name it. I'd recommend you try that before paying for another app! [Looks like they've temporarily pulled it from the App Store...you can sign up to be notified by email when it's back]