32GB 1G or 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Flanny734, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Flanny734 macrumors newbie

Well Best Buy has 1G iPod Touch for $310 in their online outlet store. Which is $90 cheaper then 2G. I know 2G has external volume controls, improved battery, speaker, and Nike+(which I don't care about)

So I have come to you guys with a question. Should I just get 1G or wait for a price drop on 2G or what.

2. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

depends how important those features are to you.

3. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    2nd gens can't be jailbroken, yet, if that's a criteria. ;)

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And the $90 that you will save.

The 2G has more features and a bit more powerful. However, the 1G still works fine for most applications.

To the OP, I would suggest considering saving the funds and going with the 1G, or wait until the 3G is released if you can wait a while.

6. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

iPod Touch 3G???? You're asking him to wait 8 months till another Apple Music Event.

I recommend you wait until they came out with the 64 GB iPod Touch and maybe the prices will drop for the other iPod Touches. That will be at least another month or two.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Did you read what I wrote?

I suggested these two options:

A. Go with the 1G.

B. Wait until the 3G is released.

Option A will save funds, can be Jail broken and purchased today.

Option B could result in a long wait. Or it may be soon. Nobody really knows at this time.

The reason that I didn't recommend a 2G is that I believe waiting for the 3G version or going with a 1G version are better options at this time.

YMMV.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

2nd Gen.

First generation iPod touch uses iPhone 2G processor with a GPU that's even crappier. 2nd generation iPod touch uses the iPhone 3G processor with a better GPU than the iPhone 3G.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You're assuming the OP is heavily into games with massive 3D rendering which is the only place you're likely to see any difference at all and even then none to the point of non-playability on the 1G.

I bought my 16GB 1G Touch when there was no 2G but I might still go for a 1G for the price savings today considering my own needs. I use my Touch for mostly music, e-Books and Japanese-English dictionary apps.

I love how people just make recommendations based on their own criteria with no consideration whatsoever that those of the people asking for advice might differ.

10. pkagel macrumors regular

I have a 1g Touch and a 3g iPhone. My good buddy has a 3g. If you don't care about the other features then it doesn't make much sense to even think about the 3g for nearly a 1/3 price increase.

11. Manikstor macrumors member

well depends are you on a budget? do you not want to spend those extra 90$?

me and my gf both have ipod touch

I have the 1G because i decided to get it cheaper + wanted to unlock it =D. Which is awesome.

she has 2G.. and its simple

like others have said only difference is the volume button and speaker

but thats it.

go with the G1 with those 90$ you can purchase your self a nice case for it and still have money left over..

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

*If* you're into gaming then its quite nice having the speed bump'd 2nd gen ipod .... thats the only difference between the 1st and 2nd gen .... the bus speed (and therefore the CPU speed) were increased by about 20% ... on some games that were a bit shaky frame-rate wise are smooth as silk on the 2g

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

owning a 2g iphone, a 3g iphone and a 2g ipod touch, i say go for the 2g touch over the first generation. i think having a speaker is really underrated, and it's always nice being able to change volume in your pocket. i think that alone is worth the price difference. further, the faster processor does make a difference in everyday tasks. apps launch and web pages load faster, and transitions and scrolling are smoother. it feels like a faster device; you don't need to be playing games to notice it.

14. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Not assuming what you'll use it for but here's my experience...

I had the 1g 16 gig touch. Then I bought a 16gig iPhone. Figured I'd keep the iPod Touch because my 5yr old son plays games on it when I drive. Using headphones with the thing made it a royal pain. I ended up just eBaying the iPod for $200 and I just let him use my iPhone now in the car.

I've considered buying him his own 2g iPod because of the speaker, but really, it's not worth the $$$ when he can just use my phone.

I'd go with the 2g iPod touch and pay the $90. What I have found (and this is just me) that I play music ALL the time on my iPhone through it's built in speaker. Getting ready for work in the morning etc, while hanging a ceiling fan the other day, just all the time. Yes, I could turn on my iMac or my stereo and appleTV downstairs, but the convenience of having that built in speaker in the iPhone is SOOOO nice.

Good luck, either way you'll be happy.

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well nothing loads slowly for me on my 1G at the moment. Transitions and scrolling in my non-3D apps and Safari are already smooth as silk and I have no complaints. How fast do you need? :p