32GB 3G or 64GB Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nickknight, May 27, 2010.

1. nickknight macrumors newbie

OK, so I am getting my iPad tommorow when they are released in the UK, and I really don't know which to get!

I'm at college so I can use there wifi but I only wanted 3G so I could get on websites that are blocked there but I don't know if 32GB will be enough?

Any suggestions except forking out another £100 for double memory lol

Thanks

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

32GB holds a ton of media -- certainly a reasonable amount that would last a week or likely more. Video is a about 1GB per hour. Books are a few MBs. Most apps are under 10MB, a few are 50 or 100MBs, but not too many of those. Pictures are about 1MB each. Songs, depends on how you encode them, but at 256mbps you are looking a 3-5MBs per song.

WiFi vs. 3G just depends on where you will use it or if you want an "emergency button."

32 vs 64 -- just do the math and figure you what you realistically need -- sure you could load it to the gills. That's easy, but also lazy and probably wasteful.

3. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

I did get the 64g 3G and it's a lot of memory. Of course I can get it to the gills but 32 is nice as well, just requiring a tad more thought. But as I'm often on the road, the 3G was more important to me.
    Since you can get the 3G on and off it's not a big deal if you only use it on holiday or when you really need it.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

5. ggogins macrumors newbie

I have owned both the wifi and the 3G models and I can say from here on out that I recommend the 3G simply b/c of the GPS. Copilot is awesome on the 3G. The wifi model using mywi with my iPhone 3GS wasn't sufficient enough for me. And if u don't plan on storing 30gb of music (like my iPad 64 3G) then the 3G 32 should b plenty

6. iserian macrumors 6502

Make your G decision first (G or no G) - then make your size decision. Chances are that if you can swing for a Pad of any size you may be able to swing a bit higher if you need the capacity.

I went with a 64 Non G on 4/3 - (No G's avail) - went with a 64G two weeks ago (have yet to activate the G - use Verizon Mifi) and went back to the non G side this week for another 64 to use as a a summer travel companion for my children.

IMO - if you need G and don't get G you will regret not getting G. Heck I have a Verizon Mifi and got a G just on the off-chance that if I need access to the I-net and don't happen to have my wifi or a wap close by.

7. eg2007 macrumors 6502

64gb Wifi and tether with a jailbroken iPhone. Save the 30 a month for the new iPhone :)

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Get the 3G, because somewhere down the road you'll regret not having it. As for size, I filled my 32GB, BUT - I have 13 full-length movies on it. I have them because I can have them, not because I need them. They take up about 18GB of space, so If I need more space, I can remove a couple - they can always be re-added. In other words, the 32GB will probably suffice.

9. iserian macrumors 6502

What size are your movies -

I'm still looking for the optimum settings. I'm averaging a gig per hour - I'd like to cut that in half and retain good/superior image quality on the Ipad. My Avatar comes in at over 3GB.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

They're all digital copies that came with the Blu-rays I bought. The average size is probably around 1.5 GB. I've never used Handbrake, but I'm considering it now that I have a good portable platform for movies. I never considered my MBP to be that platform.

11. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

My iPad 32gb Wifi just turned up and it's already full. If you have a lot of content you want to put on it you might want to get the 64gb.

12. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

3G is WAY more versatile. The memory difference is not nearly as important. JMO