32gb i7 or 16 gb i9

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Malamus, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:46 PM.

1. Malamus macrumors newbie

Malamus

I have the choice between the two macs above at work. I was told to pick one as the other will go to a new starter. I mainly use the creative suite with some small 3D rendering

Which would you choose?

2. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

If you have a choice and it's not coming out of your pocket, seems like a no brainer. Might as well shoot for the higher end processor. If you were coming out of pocket for the difference in cost between the processors, I would tell you to stick with the i7 considering the difference in performance and everyday tasks is minimal. But still, with that being said, the i9 might shave off a few seconds (maybe minutes pending the project size?)

3. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

5. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Not for gaming. Or video stabilization (90% sure). Or quickly processing streams rather than simulating 3D spaces

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Your cpu is barely going to make a diff in gaming. You may be right about the other things but it depends on the workload.

The bottom line is that the 32gb may allow you to do workloads you couldn’t do on 16gb of ram. It is very unlikely you can say the same for i7 vs i9.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Any specifics on creative suite and 3d rendering usage?

If that's high resolution photorealistic 3D rendering I would lean toward the RAM. If you spend a lot of time exporting in Premiere I would lean toward the CPU.

That much RAM is nice to have IF you need it. That CPU will be nice all the time though.

8. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Agreed! and it's unlikely to be a world-changing difference on a Mac. For truly breakneck processing needs it's unlikely a notebook is the way to go.