32GB in the iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sdahe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello Guys...

I saw in this video how they upgrade the new iMac with 32GB of Ram... I wonder... Can I upgrade my iMac too?.. I have the 27-inc, Mid 2011 model.

These are my current specs:

- Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
    - Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    - Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
    - Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Can I install 32 GB of RAM in my iMac too?...

Thanks for the help

2. bniu macrumors 6502a

Of course. All 2011 models are capable of taking up to 32GB of RAM despite what Apple tells you. I'd recommend Crucial ram. You'll need 2 16GB kits. Each kit contains 2 8GB modules. I think a 16GB kit costs about $79 these days, so about $160 for 32GB. Go for it!

3. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yes you can install 32GB in your iMac. However, do you really need that much RAM considering you all ready have 16GB?

Don't forget to check newegg.com for RAM, you can get it there for cheap.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

You can never have too much RAM :)

5. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Maybe 32gb is too much... with 16GB is working fine now. Never get page outs so I guess Im ok with those 16GB... :)

6. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Upgrading to 32G won't make your iMac run faster unless you are maxed out on real memory when you are running your normal mix of apps.

You might try running Activity Monitor while you do your typical thing. Click the System Memory tab and pay attention to total real memory in use.

For example, at the moment I have six apps running on my MBP. The total real memory in use is currently 3.8G. If I launch Photoshop, open a typical RAW image and run some actions on it, the total used jumps up to 8.5G. That's still way under 16G.

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I never said you can have TOO MUCH RAM but I did ask if it is NEEDED.

Personally, I usually buy as much as I can afford to. With my iMac, I went all the way to 16GB as soon as I bought it. And yes, I do need that much RAM as I have quite a few apps open along with memory intensive apps. If 32GB was as affordable as it is now when I originally went to 16GB, I would have gone all the way there. I'll probably just wait until I NEED to (meaning apps needing more RAM) breath new life back into my iMac before spending the cash now.

If you need to go to 32GB, I say go for it. :)

Exactly as far as what makes a computer go faster or what a user needs RAM for.

When it comes to Photoshop/Creative Suite, at times I find that it depends on what you do where memory is needed. For my uses, Photoshop eats a lot of RAM. In fact, I have seen Photoshop forcing my iMac to page out. The worst part is that OS X isn't releasing that memory back and is stuck as inactive memory. So this is probably more of an OS X issue that Apple needs to work on.

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

I'm updating my new late 2012 imac to 32gb as soon as I get it.

9. sukanih macrumors newbie

Any reasons to share ?

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

I saw some people complain as to WHY do it. I'm sharing in support of the "do it because you can" camp.

11. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Exactly

12. seigaroo macrumors newbie

Put 32gb ram in a mid-2011 27" iMac. Everthing runs fine until it goes to sleep then it want wake up. Can hear it running but the screen stays black have to force shutdown then restart. Any thoughts on why?