32GB in the Mac Pro: Officially!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

http://barefeats.com/octopro7.html

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

that is super badass. i wish i had some real loot to blow.

3. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

LMFAO! They don't run any hotter than a 2gb dimm, only thing is your fans spin way the hell up. What a subjective review.

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Doesn't the cost of 32Gb's of RAM cost more than an 8 core mac pro without any RAM?

5. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

At the current going rate, 32GB will run you up just over $5000 USD..I'll stick with 2GB stick upgrades with my Mac Pro when it arrives. 16GB will be plenty fast in the future, 32 would be insane.

6. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Wow! Cool to know... I guess. Whaddya need 32 gigs of RAM for today?

7. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The highest I would ever recommend (for now) is 8GB. 32GB is just off the charts (for now), maybe in 5-7 years and beyond 32GB would be necessary.

8. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

it actually makes sense..they dont RUN hotter, they put out more heat. They would run hotter if the heat dispenser couldnt lose the heat. so..the RAM moduals temperture is the same, but the air in the MP box has a higher temperature.

course maybe u knew that and thats why you said that..

Brad

9. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I believe Rob made it clear that was the case: he was saying that they put out more heat, but there's no danger.

What's subjective about that?

Also, even if he were 'lying', that wouldn't be 'subjective'. Subjective means opinion (which can never really be proven 'wrong'). You keep using that word--I don't think it means what you think it means.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hey, nice find. Now OWC has some competition in the 32 GB department. It won't be long before 32 GB only cost 4,000 dollars. :D And nice Inigo Montoya reference there, slughead...

11. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

Would you actually notice much difference between, say, 4GB and 32GB at the moment?

On a side issue, I notice in Vista you can use certain USB memory sticks at "RAM Boosters" (or whatever). Anyone used this feature? Any good?

12. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I think if you used apps that NEED that much RAM you would see a difference.

On a side note, I've used ready boost. It didn't do anything noticeable but then again I haven't done benchmarks to see. Basically readyboost just acts as virtual memory (like on your HDD) the only difference is that it becomes faster to access as it's flash.

13. Counter macrumors 6502

This should allow up to ten text documents open simultaneously in TextEdit. :eek:

14. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

15. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Well, sorta. It depends on a couple of things:

1. How many apps are you running?
    2. Are your apps 64-bit?

As far as I know, all OS X apps are still 32-bit (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that one). As long as that's true, they're only going to be able to allocate 4G as it stands, anyway. Where the massive amounts of memory come into play is if you're running more than one memory-hungry app. Then having 8G or 16G (or 32... ) would be really handy.

But, if it's one pig of an app and nothing else, then for the time being, you're not going to see a boost with more than 4G.

jas

16. tribe3 macrumors 6502

PS CS3 allows max use of 3GB RAM so I gave it all; now Aperture is very RAM hungry when importing large amount of images. I noticed I was having pageouts et all when indexing thumbnails of a couple thousand images (this with 7gigs)

My experience so far is that 4 gigs is plenty for most photo work -- even intensive -- unless you're upsizing for printing murals or working on an unusual amount of layers.

I don't know about video; I guess the super pros in the movies industry must give good use to huge amounts of RAM

17. bocomo macrumors 6502

ram madness

18. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

This made me laugh

19. overcast macrumors 6502a

If you actually NEED 32GB of RAM, $5000 is NOT painful. That's like saying, $75,000 for a race engine is painful, because you don't need it for driving back and forth to work.

20. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I doubt that many will be buying 32gb. mainly because its overkill. For an above average user. Say someone who wants to burn DVDs, play a movie, edit a movie, and edit some raw photos, something like 8-10 gigs would be more than enough.

21. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

4-6GB should be plenty fast for those tasks, I'm going to start my Mac Pro with 3GB to get a feel for what I need in the future. My plans are to add another 4GB in 4 months to take the machine to 7GB. 2GB sticks seem the best value at the moment, allowing you to take your Mac Pro to 16GB of RAM.

22. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Well individually 3-4 gigs would be more than enough for those tasks, but I was speaking in terms of doing them all at once.
    You bring up a good point about purchasing RAM for your Mac Pro. You almost have to go with 2gb sicks if you want to upgrade without having to remove the 512k or 1gb sticks one would have in already.

23. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I know, but I'm just saying!

Nothing is painful if you're stinking rich, or have a great income. It is painful if you can't afford it. :)