iPad 32gb iPad Air or 16 gb iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ILowry82, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ILowry82 macrumors regular

Which is worth it more? Right now both are on sale for $399 where I live

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

Well depends on what you wanna do with it and if 16gb of storage would be enough for your intented purposes

3. rickdollar macrumors 6502

IMO, if your needs are primarily internet browsing, email, media streaming, and a few other apps/games, etc., you'll be just fine with 16GB.

If you think you're going to want to store a bunch of apps, movies, and photos or shoot a bunch of movies and photos with the iPad, the 32GB would be the better option.

Keep in mind that with the Air 2 you get a more current A-series chip and 2GB of RAM. Those two features alone will provide a better future user experience opposed to the original Air if you're one who hangs on to iPads for a while.

4. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Im my personal opinion, I think 16GB is too small. A few games, a single movie, more than a handful of apps, and suddenly you'll find yourself without enough space.

Last year's iPad Air is still an extremely capable machine. I'd personally choose a 32GB iPad Air (1) over a 16GB iPad Air 2.

5. matraco macrumors regular

I made the mistake of getting a 16gb ipad mini 2 last year thinking it may be enough, once i put a few of the bigger games in it the device was almost full. I have to erase/install apps frequently, it is a pain. If you dont mind this, or arent interested in games/ large apps then it is enough. Also, the fact the IOS size is getting larger year after year might exacerbate the problem. It is the main reason im looking to upgrade it.

6. threelions macrumors regular

I think the days of 16gb are well over even with streaming apps and so on it fills up very fast.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Hardcore games file size are getting bigger so 16GB is no no. :apple:

8. ILowry82 thread starter macrumors regular

I went with the 32gb air 1. I played with both side by side and couldn't see a difference. I know the air 2 has beefier specs but it's not noticeable. I opted for more storage.

9. laudern macrumors 6502a

I have an iphone with 16gb. Had it 2 years now and still have 6gb free.

10. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I wonder in a year or so, which one will have a higher resale value. Thoughts?

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Definitely the first.
    Based on personal experience, 16 Gb aren't enough on an iPad (but I can live with 16 Gb on my iPhone).

----------

The air 2, just because it's newer.

----------

Actually with 16 Gb it takes just ONE big game to fill it :(

12. matraco macrumors regular

Yeah, i have seen some games that take near 2 gb of storage, and when they are installed they can occupy far more.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Real racing 3 .... just an example

14. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I won't buy an iPad with < 32gb ever again for anyone in my family no matter what I plan on using it for. Plans change sometimes and 16gb is just too much of pain in the butt to manage if you ever want to do updates.

15. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

for me personally, 16GB is not enough storage. what does ios8 take? 4-5GB? with that being said, i always buy the most recent model when upgrading.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

How much storage capacity does a 16GB Air 2 has with iOS 8.1.1? 10GB?
    Are you saying there are games out there that will take up 10GB seriously?

17. lyngo macrumors 6502

Today, you could get a 64GB iPad Air 2 for $500 through Best Buy. Just mentioning and adding to the discussion.

18. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Probably the right call. Double this storage trumps the faster chip and somewhat trivial upgrades that you get with the Air 2. The RAM is nice but certainly not necessary. Other than that, the rest is mostly take it or leave it.

Good job.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm saying that just one big game, with the usual usage for a tablet (some app, music, videos and photos) could fill up a 16 Gb model.
    I have less than 2 Gb free...

20. Kendo macrumors 68000

Unfortunately you won't notice a difference playing with them side by side at the Apple Store or Best Buy because it would be a quick 3 minute check. You do notice it when you are at home and actually using it, like browsing the web for 30 minutes and realizing Safari is constantly refreshing just by switching apps.

Example - I browse MacRumors and decide to watch a movie on Netflix after reading about it in the Community Discussion. As I watch the movie, I want to read about a certain actor in that movie real quick. I switch back to Safari. Refresh. :mad: Then I go read about the actor in a new tab in Wikipedia. Then I head back to the movie. Then I get to a certain point in the movie where I want to see what some posters in MacRumors said about that scene. I head back to Safari and the Wikipedia tab featuring the actor refreshes. :mad: Then I switch tabs back to the Community Discussion thread. Refresh. :mad:

21. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Actually my experience is just the opposite. I need more on my phone due to music and me taking lots of pictures. I don't do much gaming and don't watch videos, so I don't need the huge storage on my iPad. 16gb is enough for me on the iPad, so I would, and did, go with the air 2.

22. ILowry82 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually returned the 32gb air for the 64gb air 2 on Black Friday. It was on sale at Best Buy for $499. Loving it

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

32gb iPad Air or 16 gb iPad Air 2

Among all the BF iPad promotions, I ended up going with just a 16GB Air 1. The budget model should minimize my loss when I sell it and upgrade to the rumoured iPad Air "Plus" in less than a year from now.