32GB iPhone 5 Black - Model ND295LL/MD636LL?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by in0va3, Oct 3, 2012.

1. in0va3 macrumors member

Hey MacRumors,

I recently exchanged my Black 32GB iPhone 5 because of a scuffing issue. The first iPhone 5 I had was Model MD636LL which was scuffed and I just found out the replacement I got from the Apple Store is Model ND295LL. I thought the models are supposed to be the same since they're basically the same iPhone. This is bugging me because I'm afraid there could be differences between the two phones. I'd rather exchange my retail box for a new retail iPhone but the Genius didn't ask for it and got a replacement iPhone from a white box.

Could the people who got a replacement tell me their model number for the Black 32GB iPhone 5?

Thanks!

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

No need to worry as it is just likely a refurbished phone:eek:

3. reputationZed macrumors 65816

The MD prefix is used for new retail phones. The ND prefix is used for replacement phones. The replacement phones are not necessarily refurbished. Apple sets aside new production phones to be used as replacements early on as there is no pool of refurbished phones to use as replacements. This early on your phone is most likely new production. In either case the only difference from your original phone is the model number (and the lack of scratches)

4. in0va3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I assumed it was like that too. But even though there is no refurbished iPhones I think Apple should still use the retail boxes as replacement so the retail box stays with the original phone.

5. jdanyorozco macrumors newbie

I got the same thing. Returned my iPhone 5 a week after I purchased it from apple because the speaker blew out. The apple rep said it was a faulty speaker module. He gave me a "new" one out the white box witch also has a ND295LL MODEL Number.